Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

How complicated is adding Features??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Default How complicated is adding Features??

Hi Yesterday I purchased a 2005 T&C Touring with some features I really liked but when I was doing research and pricing on vehicles I could not find any with all features I wanted in my price range and with low enough milage to even consider, I was just wondering how complicated(if Possible) it would be to add some of the features I like to the one I have?
I was thinking I may find the parts at a wreacking yard or if last resort purchase from a dealer or at least new.
The Features I was thinking about was changing that radio to one of teh radios with GPS/Navigation,adding the 3rd row dvd screen to the overhead rail dvd system I have, adding foglights and upgrading the light system to a auto on/off one.
I am pretty sure the Memory feature where the seats,Pedal,Mirrors,radio settings would be way to complicated.
Also I do have the overhead console with trip,Compass,Homelink I was wondering about that too and what it would take to add the ability to have Info center where it has Tire Pressure and all those features plus the auto dim mirror with the handsfree cell phone thing ( I cannot recall the name MOPAR uses)
Just some thoughts I will never know what I can or cannot do unless I ask.
Oh ya it is a 2005 T&C Touring Model

Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 PM

It all depends on committment, patience, skill, and your wallet. Some things are plug n play, others are not, some require modules to be CHANGED, others require Modules to be ReCONFIGURED

For example...You mentioned fog lamps.....

Bolting the housings up is childs play, replacing the Multi-function switch is a bit more complicated, adding the necessary wiring to the harness takes skill, and Telling the vehicle that he Now has Fog lamps is impossible unless you have access to a Factory scan tool, and In some cases a trip to the dealership to add fog lamps to the vehicle configuration, so that the proper software can be loaded.

If your willing to committ to it, it is do-able, but hardly worth the effort. an Aftermarket fog light kit will cost you much more than the few bucks and an hour or two at The Junkyard and will not Interface properly with the vehicle (Extra switch, running wiring..etc..) But a 5 year old can install them on a sunday afternoon.....The decision and commitment is yours...

Old 04-20-2011, 03:33 AM

Thanks this was just what I was asking about, so pretty much any feature is addable depending on how much time and money I want to spend, I know on my Cherokee It appeared as if 1 wiring harness was used on them, from basic no features vehicles to ones that had evey single option offered.
I did not like basic iinstrument cluster so I found a premium Instrument Cluster and it plugged right in and all I had to replace was the Oil Pressure sender, Water Temp Sender and I think I had to wire up the Volt meter.
I even found the wires for electric modules for locks was all there.
I did find on T&C I will have to add the LNJ sales code to the VIN in order for them to work, I imagine they must some how be controlled by the computer system.
I was not sure if some features would not be compatable, IE different main computer needed or something like that where the price to install feature would outweigh any benefit gained. or if there was something that was not intended with my current features
I am going in to the dealer who sold my vehicle and did all maintenance, repairs to get a print out of what features it was originally sold with so I know what I actually have so I can make sure all are functioning and figure out what I need to add other ones.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 PM

BTW Djinn-n-Tonic what I meant by finding a at Junkyard was Hoping I could find a 2005 or correct Model year of Chrysler/Dodge that had the Foglights or for that matter any Feature I don't have and would like to have that I could pull the items from, then all I would need to do after installing Items, Changing or adding in wiring harnesses and any Specific Switches, relays etc. that I would be sure to also purchase from the Junkyard vehicle would be to have the features added or loaded into my computer to insure they worked properly.
I coudl very easily go to walmart or any of multiple online or local stores and buy foglamps quite cheap But I am looking to make sure they work exactly as if they were factory installed plus on such a nice vehicle I am in no way going to do anything that would decrease its value.
I also figure if I do add some features properly and do the proper Vin registration it should only increase the value I would hope.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 PM

2001-2007 . Chrysler/dodge Minvans are all Identical with a Few minor exceptions.

It isnt exactly a "REGISTRATION", But more of ....."A requisition" if you will. Once you tell the dealer what you did , they will find the code for Factory fog lamps in the "Option Pool", and add it to the list of options associated with YOUR VIN.

Then a Technician will request a Vehicle configuration file, based on your Vin. The file will be generated using all Known Options in the vehicle (Including the newly added Fog lamps)....The vehicle will then be returned to "FActory Settings" (Which will now include the added Lamps)...and PRESTO...youre done....They work as if they were born there.

I can see we share a common Ill will of cutting and slicing. Aftermarket stuff can be purchased cheaply, and installed with minimal effort, but since the equipment is not vehicle specific, it ...well... Looks just like a Universal piece of equipment. That, I find extremely dissapointing, when for a few more bucks, I could have had one that looks like it belonged there...

As for Value....Keep in mind, it is a 2005 Minivan....But for all intensive purposes, no -one need be the wiser, since your Vin States it was equipped with factory fog lamps.