Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Question Ignition Problems

I have a 2008 T&C 3.3L V6. I am having an issue where I have to insert the key and turn it repeatedly until the engine will engage. Once the engine engages it turns on perfectly. I have checked all the relays associated with the ignition and have checked the battery and those are fine. If you have the door open and insert the key the lights turn on and everything functions except the engine simply will not engage.

Everything I have read leads me to believe this is a ignition switch problem however AutoZone does not have a "ignition switch" for the T&C.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sincerely,

-Phil Zito

Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM

You may have already done this but before you bother with the switch, find the starter relay on the IPM panel and see if it clicks when you turn the key. It's much quieter than the starter click to you may have to feel it as it clicks. If it does, the ign switch is ok.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
You may have already done this but before you bother with the switch, find the starter relay on the IPM panel and see if it clicks when you turn the key. It's much quieter than the starter click to you may have to feel it as it clicks. If it does, the ign switch is ok.
Thanks for your reply. I put my finger on the starter solenoid relay and had my wife turn the key no clicking at all. I also swapped the K3 with the K5 relay since they are the same relay module and that didn't work.

This leads me to believe there may be a problem with the ignition switch because the car starts fine after I take the key in and out of the key slot and turn it multiple times.

Thoughts?

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

I didn't think about this until now but I also used to be able to put the key in turn it slightly and turn on and off the radio and air. I can no longer do this, the rest of the electrical components work (lights, door chime) however the items that are enabled by turning the key to acc?? are not. Does this mean the ignition switch is bad?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Considering you have a 2008 and probably an ignition module instead of a traditional ignition switch, I can't help much from here. I have zero experience with that type of system. I will say though that now that you've proven the relay isn't clicking and your ACC position seems dead, it sure points to the ignition module. I would bite the bullet and get the van to the dealer for your best chance to get this fixed.