Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Intermittent no crank/no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 PM

wouldnt the light stay on or blink or something if that were the case?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

a quote from you post

"think that when the van wont crank the light stays on"

Old 07-14-2013, 09:17 AM

ok, that is true. i guess i thought that since when it does start the light goes off. but what youre saying makes sense. it wont start again and when i have the key turned to turn the car on the light stays on, blinks once, and then turns back on. is this any type of signal? or just need to go see dealer? also how much would i be looking at to get this repaired? any ideas on a good place to start looking?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

a dealer would need to fix its a propitiatory system that only a few places would have access to the skim key codes any way to replace this module.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM

i have another question. would the starter relay crank even while the red light is on?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

nope it take out the ability to start the car

Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 AM

ok well all the relays in the fuse box still click when i try starting it. still skim issue? also i should mention that one time when i was driving it the red light was on the entire time. wouldnt the car shut off or not start if the skim were the issue?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM

This one's getting foggy or is it me? The starter relay is indeed clicking when you turn the key correct? If it clicks that says the PCM has received all the information it needs to allow the van to start. The click you hear is the relay's coil pulling the contacts closed. The relay is the last component in the chain before the starter. The closed contacts send voltage to the starter solenoid on the starter. That relay is the one and only component the PCM controls in the starting system once it receives the correct information. There is nothing between the relay and the starter but a wire connecting them.

What I'm saying is if the starter relay clicks nothing will prevent the starter from rotating except a weak battery, an open wire to the starter, a poor connection, bad starter or seized engine. At that point the security system has nothing to do with it. The usual symptom for a failed security system is a start and quick stall not a no crank (unless it locked out from multiple attempts). Where am I going wrong CHRYSLER TECH?

Last edited by Raptor 07; 07-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Yes the starter relay clicks. ive checked continuity from pin 85 in the relay to pin 31 on the C1 connector on the pcm and it has continuity. then i checked continuity from pin 87 on the starter relay to the starter and there is continuity. this tells me that it is not bad wiring. also i have jumped the starter manually and it cranks just fine everytime. hopefully Chrysler tech can give us his input or more of an explanation on the issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

also i have jumped the starter manually and it cranks

There ya go just said it If the relay clicks and I highly doubt the starter relays is clicking more then likely ASD or some other relay.

If u can manually jump 30 and 87 U bypass the control side aka PCM and so on

If it click like u say then the control side is an issue but it wont click it will only click if the pcm provides the ground for the pin 85 and the IGN switch gives power on 86

OK one more thing if u turn on the key when it wont start and u jump the starter relay it starts but will it stay running? Id say no.

VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM
Upon failure of proper SKIM communication to the PCM, the PCM will shut off fuel after two seconds of run time. The engine will not re-crank on the key cycle that the failure occurred, a full key down sequence must be performed for the engine to crank again. After six consecutive fuel shut-offs, the engine will no longer crank on subsequent key cycles. The failure must be corrected and a valid communication process between the SKIM and the PCM must occur for the engine to crank and start again

Quick Reply: Intermittent no crank/no start