Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking sounds over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 PM

I had this knocking/noise when I acquired my 01 T&C about a month ago. I purchased the sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings. I replaced the end links a week ago and man were those things worn out! They were completely useless. This stopped 90% or so of the noise for about a week and as the sway bar now had more tension on both ends, it really started wearing on the bushings and now a more distinct noise is coming from under the car since the bushings need replaced (the end links were causing more of a rattle and the bushings cause more of singular mettle to mettle "thud" or "clunk").

I have a question related to changing the sway bar bushings. I noticed when under the car and looking at the bracket that holds on the power steering cooler, that unlike the haynes manual, there seemed to be more than just 10 #10 bolts to be removed. It looked to me like you needed to remove the 10 #10 bolts, then there were at least 3 maybe 5 or 6 smaller bolts and on top of that there were two huge round "bolts" at least an inch in diameter on opposite corners of the bracket. These large round bolts had a star "recepticle" for a star shaped bit to go in and loosen or tighten. These things were huge and looked like they also held this bracket to the frame.

Is this the case? The haynes manual just stated to remove the 10 10MM bolts and lower the bracket, get the steering cooler out of the way and go to town on the sway bar bushings. I swear it looked like this bracket had those other bolts not mentioned holding it and if the two big round ones are holding it on they looked like they would be a pain to get off of the car.