Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power and eml light on under heavy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Default Loss of power and eml light on under heavy acceleration

Hi all here's one or you all,
My 2003 (03) Chrysler grand voyager 2.5 crd has developed this fault driving along in higher gears (4th and 5th) cruising along at 60 to 70 mph put your foot flat to floor and goes as it should then a slight drop in power and eml comes on ease the revs off and eml light goes off. If your gentle with throttle then it will carry on into licence loss territory no loss of power and no eml on.
This has just started after it came back from the garage after having rear main seals and clutch and service. Just had mot today passed with flying colours after spending Sunday doing drop links, track rod end and an injector seal i will start another post giving top tip for injector removal as didn't fancy spending £200 on injector tool.
Regarding my postI have plugged fault code reader in and no codes, so went down the line of un plugging maf sensor and taking it for a drive same happens under hard driving so I think I can rule out maf sensor, now thinking maybe turbo actuator? I briefly thought fuel filter or air in fuel line from fuel filter housing but last time I had this happen it would cut out and would have to pull over to restart so I am ruling that out for short term, maybe egr valve but my gut is steering me to turbo actuater at the mo, has anyone else had this fault and found what the cause was I will keep updating as I try different things until it is sorted then will post what it was. One final thing car has covered 117500 miles we have owned from new .
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all your replies

Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 PM

You should have a code like boost pressure, P0235 I think. You have same fault as I have but living with it. Its not injectors or air in the fuel. Turbo actuator operated by boost side of turbo. So the fault is either Turbo boost actuator of EGR valve sticking. EGR is vacuum operated so might be vacuum hose leak. Good Luck and hope you get answer for me.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 PM

Thank you for your reply, that is what I narrowed it down to going to see what the cheaper of the 2 parts is and start with that any prices on
1. Egr and
2. Turbo actuator
Or best places to find would be great.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:14 AM

Blanking off the EGR valve would tell if it was that to fault as EGR Has to close to get max power from fresh air coming in and not burnt oxygen via EGR.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the idea of blanking off egr goggs have ordered a blanking plate and let you know how I get on also looked at finding a turbo actuator but can't find a new one anywhere only find used ones attached to turbos on eBay and places alike I think it's going to be call to main dealer for a price, will make sure that I am sitting down for the price,

Old 07-28-2016, 09:39 AM

Have you done a key dance forby a code reader plug in..Think you will find P0235.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:04 AM

I had a vacuum solenoid leaking, hence losing a lot of vacuum. There is one for the EGR and one for the "throttle valve". Loss of vacuum sounds likely and suggest you check these solenoid valves to make sure they are closing properly and do not leak, especially the one with a third port which can leak to atmosphere.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:06 PM

Yes the Electro-valve 3 port is a possibility as it controls the EGR. It only costs about £27 from Chrysler someone said too. K05149105AA check this fits your car. Maybe I need one..

Old 10-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Just like to say i had the same issue with my 2.5crd 03 GV.

After chatting with a friend ( mechanic) and some fault finding, the issue was sourced back to a seized waste gate valve and failed waste gate actuator.

This created excess pressure at higher speed/revs and the fact it wasn't being relieved, caused the engine to activate limp mode to stop it blowing itself up essentially.

After replacing the waste gate actuator and freeing the waste gate, I can report the cars performance has returned. All is working as should

Old 10-01-2016, 12:22 PM

Also, the waste gate actuator can't be bought from Chrysler (its a part of the turbo) so sourcing a cheap turbo with one on is your best bet. Also make sure you note your turbos serial number, as there's multiple turbos fitted to this generation.

Quick Reply: Loss of power and eml light on under heavy acceleration