Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major issues with my town and country..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Default Major issues with my town and country..

I had a small leak in the radiator. Did not overheat or have any other problems. Took it to the shop and had a brand new radiator put in. They also put in a new thermostat. I had them to go ahead and change the plugs and wires and do an oil change while they had it just because it had been a while since it had been done.

Went to pick it up and immediately noticed it was running horrible and blowing tons of white smoke from the tailpipe!!! They told me it was just where it had been sitting a couple days. I took their advice and left to drive home. After driving only 2 minutes it started overheating. It did not go all the way to the red tho. Pulled over and turned it off. It had a really loud bubbling sound coming from the coolant reservoir. Had it towed home. Checked coolant in radiator and it was low. I filled it and started the van today. Really rough idle like it's misfiring badly, tons of white smoke from the tailpipe, gauge didn't showed it was overheating but I only let it run for about 2 minutes. As soon as I turned it off I could hear the bubbling sound again and radiator is empty but the reservoir is at full mark.

Everyone is telling me that it sounds like a blown head gasket...

How can this be the case when it has not overheated and had no problems previously other than a leaking radiator??

Thought? Suggestions??

Old 03-07-2015, 03:19 AM

Yes, it does sound like a head gasket ruptured. Call me paranoid if you want, but I'd discretely check if something fishy hasn't been going on here.

Leedsman.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:04 PM

Agreed that sounds like a blown head gasket. If you are sure it did not overheat before taking it to garage for repair then it does sound suspicious. For the head gasket to get blown whilst in the shop for a radiator and thermostat renewal sounds like incredible bad luck. I would ask the garage to explain how the head gasket failed whilst the vehicle was in their care. In all likelihood they will suggest that it had been overheated beforehand (whilst in your care). Tricky situation.

When the vehicle was left at the garage, did you or the garage make a note of the mileage? For a radiator and thermostat renewal and lube-oil-filter change and tune-up would not normally require driving the vehicle more than one or two miles (many shops would do this with nil miles). If the vehicle has clocked more than that in their care, then they've driven the vehicle more than needed.

It is possible to overheat a vehicel just standing still whilst filling up radiator and checking thermostat...would hapen in hsort tim eof radiator was fitted and no coolant added...with no coolant the temperature gage sending unit will barely register a temperature. i would ask the garage if that has taken place.

At the end of the day, you could be facing a stale mate with the garage if they will not admit to a mistake. You need to be 100% confident that you had no overheat or hot running before taking it in.

Bad luyck - hope yoou get to a reasonable solution with the garage.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 PM

New rad & stat.

Turn the heater full belt - fan on high, take the cap off the header tank, start the car, let it run and keep an eye on the temp. The trans cooler pipe [the big thick one that runs the horizontal width of the rad] should get hot & firm - does it ? - air lock ? - leaks ? - squealing $hite in water pump ?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:47 AM

Pretty sure blown headgasket.
I would blame the garage and try to come to a deal. Preferably the garage taking the blame and all the cost for repair, but most likely you need to reach a compromise with them and split the bill.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 AM

I agree with everyone one else, sounds like a blown head gasket. However, I would put money on it having been brought up to temp without coolant.

However, the bigger issue is the cost of repairs and who will be liable. You've taken the vehicle home so depending on your relationship with them, its possible they could deny liability. Furthermore is the cost above and beyond replacement gaskets as if it was left running long enough you could be facing a trashed head(s). They warp very easily when overheated.

My first step would be to call them and speak with whoever runs the place. See what he has to say, you never know he may not even be aware of it so its worth trying. Otherwise, depending on your vehicle mileages, it may be more cost effective to buy a second hand engine than it would be to repair your own.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 AM

Something I would like to add: If the garage replaced the radiator, coolant, oil, all that, they MUST have started the engine and check if all runs fine.
So they MUST have noticed the white smoke from the exhaust and any decent mechanic knows what that means.
Imho there can be only one conclusion and that is that the garage deliberately let you leave with the car to let you take the blame for the damage.
Prepare for a harsh verbal battle!

Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM

I've said this before:--
If you want a job doing right, do the damned thing yourself. Everywhere you look these days, it's incompetence, incompetence, incompetence.

Leedsman.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
I've said this before:--
If you want a job doing right, do the damned thing yourself. Everywhere you look these days, it's incompetence, incompetence, incompetence.

Leedsman.
I completely agree, and it not just here in the UK. I spend several months each year in the US and it can be just as bad there.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Lekim --
If I were in your shoes with my GV., I'd think it was time to get nasty -- legally.
You have paid people to do a job for you, and you have a legal right to be able to expect them to be competent. Otherwise they should refuse the job.
You have given them ample opportunity to rectify any mistakes.
Now it's time to see Citizen's Advice Bureau as to how you may get redress without spending/risking huge money on lawyers. These characters masquerading as mechanics rely on disgruntled customers giving up and letting them get away with it. DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 03-11-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Quick Reply: Major issues with my town and country..