Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

MASTER TECH needed - evaporator failed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Default MASTER TECH needed - evaporator failed..

I've been handy with many things, but worried about tackling an evaporator R&R on my '97 T & C. Sounds like tackling the Dash removal is more than half of the hard part. Many say you have to have the tools. I guess that like me, most people thinking of doing this have at least some sockets and screwdrivers (incl. Torx), but it sounds like there might be others more dedicated to the task. Is a list available.

Then there are other issues, like evac and charging, worrying[] about open lines.

What about after... tests, calibration? Some mechanics are quoting 1000 to 1400 and I'm sure they're not equipped with all the equipment that dealers have!?!?!

Some details on my vehicle....

I bought it around April and continue to use it as a taxi. Had 213k miles and now is past 240k. Have no idea how much on it is original, but believe that the rear heat-a/c is missing; at least some is disconnected.(I'd like to correct that). So, it ran in this condition for 5 or so months with good cooling and only recently started requiring re-charge. (Had a moldy smell and sprayed some fix-it into outside and inside intake; don't know if this quickened the failure). Had technician charge and add dye and found the glow coming out the front drain.

Some question in my mind about investing more (yeah, other stuff has failed too) in a '97 with that many miles. Some other stuff needs fixing. Car shimmies. Even after new/balanced tires. Gives codes for below par cat.conv. and circuit not detected on rear O2 sensor(even after replacement).

I'm hoping for suggestions to get this on the road again! Thanks in advance....

Gene

Old 08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: MASTER TECH needed - evaporator failed..

I do that stuff on the side here in Atlanta. Yeah 1400 sounds about right for a dealer no special tool required but to remove the freon and install new stuff. If u want step by step get a manual it will walk u through it.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Default CHRYSLER TECH needed - Haynes manual ignores this procedure

Go figure; I get the Haynes and it all but ignores the evap issue. Little if anything about dash removal. Just a few steps. Which manual is recommended?
Thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CHRYSLER TECH needed - Haynes manual ignores this procedure

here ya go

INSTRUMENT PANEL The instrument panel is removed as a unit. The steering column and wiring harnesses are assembled into the panel before installation. Service procedures for interior trim not related to the instrument panel can be found in Group 23, Body. REMOVAL[*]Disconnect the battery, negative cable first.[*]Remove the lower console.[*]Remove the screw holding the lower heat duct to the instrument panel support Heat Duct[*]Disconnect the heat duct from the vehicle.[*]Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the instrument panel frame Lower Supports[*]Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the floor pan.[*]Remove the right and left end covers.[*]Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag Module.[*]Remove the front door sill trim covers.[*]Remove the A-pillar trim covers.[*]Remove the glove box.[*]Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.[*]Remove the lower steering column cover.[*]Remove the knee blocker panel.[*]Disconnect the lower two, forty pin wire harness connectors, from the main Junction Block near left cowl side panel Junction Block and Body Control Module Connectors[*]Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the bottom of Body Control Module.[*]Disconnect the two forty pin connectors from the right of the steering column 40 Way Connectors Location[*]Remove the clinch bolt holding upper the steering shaft to the lower steering shaft 40 Way Connectors Location[*]Separate the upper steering shaft from the lower steering shaft.[*]Remove the nuts holding the instrument panel frame to the die-cast brake pedal support on each side of the steering column.[*]With mechanical transmission range indicator:[*]Remove the indicator cable loop.[*]Remove the clip holding gear shift cable end to the gear selector adapter.[*]Pull the cable end from gear selector.[*]Disconnect the clip for the indicator cable and guide tube from the shift cable bracket and move out of the way. [/ol][*]Remove the nut holding gear shift cable bracket to the instrument panel frame.[*]Remove the bracket from the instrument panel.[*]Remove the screw holding hood release handle to the instrument panel.[*]Remove the bolt holding the hood release handle to the instrument panel.[*]Position the hood release handle out of the way.[*]Remove the instrument panel top cover.[*]Disconnect the wire connector from the HVAC wire harness behind the glove box area.[*]Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the brackets on cowl side panels Passenger Side Instrument Panel and Drivers Side instrument Panel[*]Loosen, but do not remove, the pivot bolts holding the instrument panel to the cowl panels.[*]Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.[*]Remove the instrument panel from vehicle. [/ol] INSTALLATION For installation, reverse the above procedures.

HEATER A/C UNIT HOUSING REMOVAL WARNING: IF EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING, THE REFRIGERATION SYSTEM MUST BE COMPLETELY EMPTY BEFORE PROCEEDING. [*]Set parking brake.[*]Disconnect battery negative cable.[*]Using a refrigerant recovery machine, remove refrigerant from the A/C system A/C Service Ports[*]Remove wiper module. Refer to Windshield Wipers and Washers.[*]Pinch off rear heater lines if equipped.[*]Drain engine coolant. Remove heater hoses at the heater core Heater Hoses Plug coolant lines.[*]Remove suction and liquid lines at the expansion valve Expansion Valve Plate[*]Remove the Instrument Panel Assembly. Refer to Instrument Panel and Gauges.[*]Remove heater ducts.[*]Disconnect the two upper mounts from the upper reinforcement and the lower mount from the tunnel.[*]Remove the (3) nuts (in the engine compartment) securing the unit to the dash panel HVAC Bolt-Up[*]Disconnect the HVAC housing wiring harness.[*]Pull the entire unit rearward until the studs on the unit clear the dash panel. Drop the unit down. Pull it rearward to remove it from vehicle. [/ol] INSTALLATION[*]For installation of the assembly, reverse the above procedures. Install new O-rings on plumbing inlets[*]Evacuate and recharge the A/C system.[*]Perform HVAC control Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test. [/ol]

Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Default CHRYSLER TECH - many thanks...

this looks official.Withyour experience, I guess you've already read and approve the steps. I don't start for a couple of days but was wondering if the 'tools' I always read about are important for any steps? Or were people talking about the evacuation, etc?

Almost tempted to drive it down to you, but a possible breakdown along the way would make me go crazy. Anyway, it's probably more humid there than here.

I'll post my experience after. (I guess once I get started, I'll start to find all the screws and fasteners!)

Thanks again,

Gene

Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CHRYSLER TECH - many thanks...

let me know i would do it on the side =) I read through all teh stemps when i come across one that I ahve not done yet but other then that I ahve been pulling dashes and this storta stuff for 11 years now I pretty much know what i need to take off and do. I read the steps to find the hidden bolts or screws that u may not know to get it out.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Default RE: CHRYSLER TECH - many thanks...

Here's some links to the latest I've removed. It's really not that hard, just takes time. I recommend a subscription to Alldata. DIY use is like 12 or 15 dollars for a year. We use it at the shop. It goes a lot better if you have it.

For the TXV, you will need a reverse Torx Socket to remove the center stud, I can't remember if it's an 8 or a 9.

Here's the links:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...7&t=730527

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewto...&start=180
Third post on the page...

Post here and I can give links to all the pictures. If you haven't done this before, plan on two days. Make sure you order and receive all your parts before you begin. Buy the o-rings from the dealer, it's confusing trying to get them from anyone else if you don't know which ones to use (you don't want to mess up with sealing the system back up at the TVX!). Also, rent the vacuum pump and the gauges from Advance or Autozone if you don't have a set. Make sure you remove the THREE Bolts from the firewall before you try to remove the HVAC box. Also, the new evap, if not factory, doesn't come with the stryrofoam seal for the bottom of the HVAC Box. You will need to buy sealing tape to seal the Evaporator to the top of the Box. Make sure you line the tape up the same way it is on the factory Evaporator.

I recommend that while you have the HVAC box, go ahead and replace the Heater Core. It's a lot easier now, and you can just bet that it come up to haunt you later if you don't.

Fred

Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Default Easy & Fast - but I take long breaks

Hot here this week - doing out in the sun.

Stuck right now - can't see the clip well enough to know how to disconnect the shift cable!?! I'll probably figure it out before anyone has time to reply, but.....

Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Default Maybe I shouldn't have started this...

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

here ya go

INSTRUMENT PANEL The instrument panel is removed as a unit. The steering column and wiring harnesses are assembled into the panel before installation. Service procedures for interior trim not related to the instrument panel can be found in Group 23, Body. REMOVAL[*]Disconnect the battery, negative cable first.[*]Remove the lower console.[*]Remove the screw holding the lower heat duct to the instrument panel support Heat Duct[*]Disconnect the heat duct from the vehicle.[*]Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the instrument panel frame Lower Supports[*]Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the floor pan.[*]Remove the right and left end covers.[*]Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag Module.[*]Remove the front door sill trim covers.[*]Remove the A-pillar trim covers.[*]Remove the glove box.[*]Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.[*]Remove the lower steering column cover.[*]Remove the knee blocker panel.[*]Disconnect the lower two, forty pin wire harness connectors, from the main Junction Block near left cowl side panel Junction Block and Body Control Module Connectors[*]Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the bottom of Body Control Module.[*]Disconnect the two forty pin connectors from the right of the steering column 40 Way Connectors Location[*]Remove the clinch bolt holding upper the steering shaft to the lower steering shaft 40 Way Connectors Location[*]Separate the upper steering shaft from the lower steering shaft.[*]Remove the nuts holding the instrument panel frame to the die-cast brake pedal support on each side of the steering column.[*]With mechanical transmission range indicator:[*]Remove the indicator cable loop.[*]Remove the clip holding gear shift cable end to the gear selector adapter.[*]Pull the cable end from gear selector.[*]Disconnect the clip for the indicator cable and guide tube from the shift cable bracket and move out of the way.
[ol][/ol][*]Remove the nut holding gear shift cable bracket to the instrument panel frame.[*]Remove the bracket from the instrument panel.[*]Remove the screw holding hood release handle to the instrument panel.[*]Remove the bolt holding the hood release handle to the instrument panel.[*]Position the hood release handle out of the way.[*]Remove the instrument panel top cover.[*]Disconnect the wire connector from the HVAC wire harness behind the glove box area.[*]Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the brackets on cowl side panels Passenger Side Instrument Panel and Drivers Side instrument Panel[*]Loosen, but do not remove, the pivot bolts holding the instrument panel to the cowl panels.[*]Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.[*]Remove the instrument panel from vehicle.
[ol][/ol]INSTALLATION For installation, reverse the above procedures.

HEATER A/C UNIT HOUSING REMOVAL WARNING: IF EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING, THE REFRIGERATION SYSTEM MUST BE COMPLETELY EMPTY BEFORE PROCEEDING. [*]Set parking brake.[*]Disconnect battery negative cable.[*]Using a refrigerant recovery machine, remove refrigerant from the A/C system A/C Service Ports[*]Remove wiper module. Refer to Windshield Wipers and Washers.[*]Pinch off rear heater lines if equipped.[*]Drain engine coolant. Remove heater hoses at the heater core Heater Hoses Plug coolant lines.[*]Remove suction and liquid lines at the expansion valve Expansion Valve Plate[*]Remove the Instrument Panel Assembly. Refer to Instrument Panel and Gauges.[*]Remove heater ducts.[*]Disconnect the two upper mounts from the upper reinforcement and the lower mount from the tunnel.[*]Remove the (3) nuts (in the engine compartment) securing the unit to the dash panel HVAC Bolt-Up[*]Disconnect the HVAC housing wiring harness.[*]Pull the entire unit rearward until the studs on the unit clear the dash panel. Drop the unit down. Pull it rearward to remove it from vehicle.
[ol][/ol]INSTALLATION[*]For installation of the assembly, reverse the above procedures. Install new O-rings on plumbing inlets[*]Evacuate and recharge the A/C system.[*]Perform HVAC control Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test.
[ol][/ol]
I say this because I don't know some of the terminology well enough. I've kind of been 'winging it' and getting lucky!
One panel vs. another. One opening vs. another. One cowl vs. another. At which point will the dash 'drop' and fall?

P.S. I'm thinking that I'm mostly done removing the dash. I say mostly because it is still there; hanging by what appear to be two bolts each, right and left of the dash. I stopped there because the instructions don't mention anything about mirrors. There are cables going from the dash out to the mirrors through the pillars. Anyone know about this step?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Maybe I shouldn't have started this...

remove the mirrors from both sides the harness from the dash goes through the mirrors.

Quick Reply: MASTER TECH needed - evaporator failed..