Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor noise/whine after switch-off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 AM
Default Motor noise/whine after switch-off.

Lately I've noticed an obvious electric motor whine from under my 2006 diesel 2.8 Grand Voyager, round about the middle area. It stops after approx. one minute. There is no other fault. Anyone know what this is? My previous car, a diesel S-type Jag. did exactly the same.

Leedsman.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Lately I've noticed an obvious electric motor whine from under my 2006 diesel 2.8 Grand Voyager, round about the middle area. It stops after approx. one minute. There is no other fault. Anyone know what this is? My previous car, a diesel S-type Jag. did exactly the same.

Leedsman.
Auxiliary heater, look for a mini-exhaust pipe underneath near to the area of noise. And congrats, if you have an extra heater that costs a fortune in the UK. The extra minute is the emptying of the swirl bowl of unspent fuel after switching off.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM

VERY much obliged for this information Quinteq. Can you say what is heated by this, is it the interior or the engine? I read the red link and your comments -- as it must be burning white diesel from the tank, I don't really need it and I've not noticed any heat inside (I think I would have at 5Kw!). It certainly doesn't warm up the engine. Oh, that reminds me, -- the thermostat mods are still working perfectly, and I forgot to acknowledge your nice 'engine-turned ' version Quinteq, aplogies for the oversight.

On a separate issue, while I'm rattling the keyboard, anyone know how to disable the EGR valve simply so I can run some fuel consumption tests? I noticed the other day during murky weather that there is a touch of smoke from the exhaust on hard acceleration as shown in the light from car headlights behind. I have read from others with this 1st. gen. 2.8 diesel with solenoid injectors that this slight smoke is normal for this engine.

Leedsman.
p.s. Er...BTW, just how much is this extra heater worth? Go on, cheer me up.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM

HiYa Leedsman, I haven't got one hence, even with another Yourkshire-man I envy the fact that you do have one. I know Chrysler fitted Webasto made water coolant pre-heaters to your year. There's a one here for £120 on flea-bay. The origin of the idea was if it fell to say 20° C the pre-heater would 'start-up' and protect your coolant system, even in the middle of the night.

My Brother and I both have an Erberspatcher Airtronic D5's to heat our workshop[s] - these blow hot air. Along with your considered 'winterising' of your car, if this works on the front coolant you might want to consider that as it gets towards our UK winter this will come on in the morning start up and bring benefits by raising your coolant up to temp quicker than you could do it without the Webasto.

My brother had a new 8 seater Ford Galaxy [same as Sharan & Alhambra's] that had an auxiliary heater, the engine ran so cold that they fitted an Erberspatcher that heated coolant to a rear heater matrix, that engine was so cold if you drove 100 miles and parked up with the hot engine still on tickover the engine would turn cold so quickly you had to turn the fan off or lose a limb to frostbite. I'm not sure how the Chrysler one works, ie front rad / matrix or rear matrix only. I'm sure someone here will know and answer your questions. Meanwhile read this on the Ford one.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:12 PM

I have one of these heaters on my XS model! It heats the cabin! When I turn it on there are 3 yellow snake like lights that come on the dash! When I turn off the engine you can hear it still going! Kinda sounds like a jet turbine powering down! I can see the exhaust smoke from the diesel it uses! I've run mine on V-Power with Archoil and BG244 in the tank...

Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 AM

Thanks guys for this; I've noticed a new-ish light comes on in the fascia, some wiggly yellow lines pointing upwards in bottom centre of fascia. I assumed it was demister lights as that's what they look like. If I switch off the ordinary heater they disappear.
So if I switch on the ordinary heater immediate from starting cold engine, will these wiggly yellow lines indicate the Webasto heater in "on"? (Provided of course that it's cold outside, and provided the Webasto is working...)
This is fascinating. If it is working, I could use red diesel instead of white for the Webasto as this is proven legal with customs and excercise. (It's ok to use red which is a lot cheaper and easily available in Leeds from petrol stations, so long as you don't burn it in the engine). I've downloaded the picture from Fl-ebay provided by Quinteq to compare with mine.

Watch this space...

Leedsman.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 AM

According to the handbook, I've got an auxillary on my 2007 Executive. I discovered this when the light with the 3 wiggly lines came on and I had to refer to the handbook to find out what they were. But from what I understand from this post, the auxillary heater is fuelled from a seperate tank to the main one. Is this correct?
Incidentally, my last Voyager, which was a 2004 2.5 TD, also had an auxillary heater but I'm pretty sure it didn't have the light with the wiggly lines in the instrument display.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 AM

No, the aux. heater won't be fuelled from a separate tank, I was just getting ahead of myself here, thinking I could fit a red diesel sep. tank to save burning the ultra-expensive white tax-paid diesel. It's very easy in Leeds to buy small quantities of red.
As far a I can tell, one has to actually drive the vehicle before the aux. heater will come on. The "book" is not very clear on this.

Thanks for this further contribution.

Leedsman.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:03 AM

I was forgetting you're a Yorkshireman :O)
I wonder if the fitting of the indicator light was an afterthought by Chrysler. My 2004 didn't have a light but I'm sure it had an auxillary heater, I had the noises after switching off and the little pipe under the nearside that sometimes dripped water. Plus I remember the dealer mentioning it when I first picked the car up.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 AM

When ever I turn my heating on(If the cab is not at the set temp, say 71) then the 3 amber orange snake lights(Or arrows if you like) come on! Didn't know you could switch it off! The exhaust pip for my heater is really long! Was expecting a short snub nose one tbh. B4 I started to use V-Power derv it smoked and smelt a lot! But now doesn't ��

Quick Reply: Motor noise/whine after switch-off.