Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

My T&C Needs your Help.......PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Default My T&C Needs your Help.......PLEASE!!

I have a very nice 96 Chrysler T&C with the 3.8 engine. It is loaded, and we have loved it and cared for it for almost 150,000 miles now. It runs great and does what we want and ask except for this new problem that not even three different Chrysler dealers in our area have been able to diagnose. I have thrown almost a $1000 dollars at thier guesses only to still have the same problem. It dies intermitently! No codes set. We have replaced, cam & crank sensor twice, and paid for almost 10 hours of diagnostic time. It dies sometimes under load, sometimes at idle. It dies cold and warm, it sometimes will go a week without ever dying, and then die 15 times in a day. It always has restarted so far. Often on the highway with cruise set, it will die. I kick it to neutral restart and reset cruise without ever stopping or even slowing much. On occassion it restarts but wont run for a couple starts. Again, it sets no codes, and even with diagnostic tools connected when it dies, techs have been unable to diagnose. Any ideas or thoughts?

Old 09-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Default RE: My T&C Needs your Help.......PLEASE!!

I'm no mechanic nor have I had your type of problem. But off the top of my head, might it be starving for fuel? Blockage somewhere or fuel pump?

Old 09-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, get the codes and that would be a lot more aiser to diagnose the problem..

-Matt-

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 PM

I have the same van, same year. I have not spent $1,000 yet. I love the van but cannot stand the problem. I am afraid it may happen and cause an accident. Please HELP!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM

As I stated in the first Post, it does not set codes! Even when it dies attached to the diagnostic tools it did not set any codes. Long and Short ... I gave up afte an additional $1000 and decided It was not safe for my family. Mechanic friend bought it for next to nothing and has spent $500 so far. Two weeks ago he replaced the ECM with one from a Salvage Yard he bought for $250. So far he has driven it every day and not died once. I think it is fixed. Replace the ECM and dont listen to anyone else! I thought that was the problem Thousands ago but was told over and over by Chrysler Master Certified techs it was not. They are good mechanics, this was just one of those wierd deals. It was so sporatic and its failure to set codes stumped even the best of them.

Replace the ECM and have your dealer reprogram it and set the mileage correctly.

Good Luck