Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare situation, assistance required

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Default Nightmare situation, assistance required

Hi

I wonder if there is anyone who may be able to assist in our plight. We have a 2002 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.5 CRD engine and we have a heck of a problem.

This is the situation. Whilst we were away in Co. Durham (UK) bowling along the Jeep lost power so we called a local independant garage who duly came to our aid and towed us back to his establishment and did a few tests and located the fault as being two of the tappets on the inlet side cracked through at the pivot point, hence the sudden failing. He assured us it was not a problem and he would do it as soon as possible (this was back in February by the way) and all would be well.

So, he strips the thing and removes the head does as is required and rebuilds it but he is unable to get the thing to fire or start. He tries and tries but to no avail, tests more things but still it refuses to go. Time goes on and on and we become very alarmed as when we ring no answer or his brother says he is away and will get back to us but never does. We get a letter a few days ago from some official saying he has now gone pop/bust/insolvent and that our car should be removed from the premises as soon as possible before bailiffs etc. stake a claim and take it even though it is not his the parts he has thus far fitted are !!! I have been and moved it a little way away, thanks to another unit holder on the same small industrial estate, and it appears that everything in the way of removed parts are there but either in the boot or in one of the footwells.

My requests for help are as follows, does anyone know of a really good independant Chrysler mechanic in the Durham area who can wave a magic wand and return the staus quo and sort out the thing or, if push comes to shove (I used to be a mechanic back in the British Leyland era of Allegro, Princess, Maxi etc.) I will do it myself and have in fact ordered a locking/setting pin set plus a manual to assist but after a brief look cannot locate a) the fuel pump timing marks nor where the flywhhel locking pin goes, it does say to remove the starter so is one of the starter bolts the index for the pin ??

Absolutely any help, advice (apart from sueing him as it won't sort the car) suggestions really welcome and we will be eternally grateful.

Thanks in anticipation
Andy R