Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound after changing radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Default No sound after changing radio?

Hi
I have a voyager and I wanted to change the factory fitted radio that all went well but I had no sound.
What I found was if I plug in the Chrysler radio then swap the plug to the new radio all is fine sound is great. The problem is when I turn the ignition off and on again I have no sound again the only way I can get it back is by pugging the Chrysler radio back in and without turning ignition off putting the other one back on. It seems that the Chrysler radio is sending a signal or something to a device in the car to clear it.
Can anyone help?
thanks
Bill

Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Default RE: No sound after changing radio?

You need an auto-electrician.
chrysler radio's are fitted and paired with vin of the car. this needs to be erased. a good auto electrican can do this for u.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 AM

Hi
thanks for the unfortunately in the UK we don't seem to have any good auto-electricians as I have phoned every man and his dog and they all say, they would have to rewirethe after market radioto every speaker in the car to get round the manufactures amp unit.
I have today heard the Chrysler USA do a lead that just plugs in and you can put an aftermarket radio straight in.
Low and behold in the UK they say they don't have this available. So I am now trying to contact them to see if they will supply me with the cost and sell me one. There is probably a company who makes this bit of kit in the States already but I haven't found it yet. Or a workaround as no one seems to know how to erase the pairing.
thanks
Bill

Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 PM

You may have a bad amp or a blown fuse.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Smile

Might be called a necrobump, but I solved this.

You need to send these codes on the J1850 bus:

Amplifier on: 8D 0F 41
Volume 0: 3D 13 00 00
Pan/fade center: 3D 14 00 00
Bass/treble neutral: 3D 15 00 00
Amp set volume: 3D 13 18

They need to be re-sent (except for the volume 0 one!!!!!!) every about 850 ms.

You can NOT do this with an OBDII tester because it doesn't support one byte headers.

Last edited by Melanie_T; 10-24-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigbill2656
Hi
thanks for the unfortunately in the UK we don't seem to have any good auto-electricians as I have phoned every man and his dog and they all say, they would have to rewirethe after market radioto every speaker in the car to get round the manufactures amp unit.
I have today heard the Chrysler USA do a lead that just plugs in and you can put an aftermarket radio straight in.
Low and behold in the UK they say they don't have this available. So I am now trying to contact them to see if they will supply me with the cost and sell me one. There is probably a company who makes this bit of kit in the States already but I haven't found it yet. Or a workaround as no one seems to know how to erase the pairing.
thanks
Bill
You have a separate amp in the rear wing. Change to an aftermarket and = no noise my friend. Poster on the UK forum has links to his blog. I'll find him and tell you another day. Best of luck.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:11 PM

I simply have no idea why everyone and theor dog say to kick the amp to the curb.... it has, if that is of any interest, the tuned crossovers for the D column speakers you'll otherwise lose, apart from losing frequency range on front bottom/top speakers. I just posted the solution to actually get the factory amp, which is quite good, to work!

Old 04-03-2020, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Melanie_T
I simply have no idea why everyone and theor dog say to kick the amp to the curb.... it has, if that is of any interest, the tuned crossovers for the D column speakers you'll otherwise lose, apart from losing frequency range on front bottom/top speakers. I just posted the solution to actually get the factory amp, which is quite good, to work!
Many have Andy's ,blog has full colour, long walkthrough on the wiring. He's a radio engineer by profession. The amp is Infiniti, lots of info on Chrysler/Infinity sound on the allpar site.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 AM

Andy has pix, his blog was quite valuable for that and also the writeups, pinnings, etc. But no one I know of has the actual turn on codes for the amp in the UK Chryslers. There is a lot of stuff to find about bypassing it, but I've scoured the internet and no one has found a way to turn it on, the threads all peter out with no solution.
That is why I built hardware to intecept and relay J1850 data and found these codes. I also gave them to Andy via his Facebook already, to add to the blog.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Melanie_T
Andy has pix, his blog was quite valuable for that and also the writeups, pinnings, etc. But no one I know of has the actual turn on codes for the amp in the UK Chryslers. There is a lot of stuff to find about bypassing it, but I've scoured the internet and no one has found a way to turn it on, the threads all peter out with no solution.
That is why I built hardware to intecept and relay J1850 data and found these codes. I also gave them to Andy via his Facebook already, to add to the blog.
I've sat in his actual UK car in the UK, I've seen his work, I've heard his aftermarket my friend. Including the cosmetic - a very professional finish.

We're all here to help each other in the best way we can. I'm pleased you gave Andy the codes he's a very nice bloke.

Quick Reply: No sound after changing radio?