Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Oil Change Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Default Oil Change Intervals

I have read many posts in other forums and in some I am shocked on how others treat their engines. I know many people give a sample of their oil to Bob the oil guy , and this is great to get the results of many aspects but come on, I understand that if it was alot of money to do an oil change then I would take it to the out most mileage allowed. The results that can be given by bobtheoilguy dont tell you key fact that oil is broken down with the many heat cycles and with science facts alone oil should not be taken 6,000 miles. I myself use to be a 5,000 mile guy but after coming across some news relating to new findings with oils and a few of these companies that give test results from samples given, I now do my oil changes every or around 3,500 miles. Its so cheap for an oil change, why not give your engine the best treatment more often? I know on any thread there will be ones with you and against you but i know I will not fall for BS readings from results of an oil sample.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hodges710
I have read many posts in other forums and in some I am shocked on how others treat their engines. I know many people give a sample of their oil to Bob the oil guy , and this is great to get the results of many aspects but come on, I understand that if it was alot of money to do an oil change then I would take it to the out most mileage allowed. The results that can be given by bobtheoilguy dont tell you key fact that oil is broken down with the many heat cycles and with science facts alone oil should not be taken 6,000 miles. I myself use to be a 5,000 mile guy but after coming across some news relating to new findings with oils and a few of these companies that give test results from samples given, I now do my oil changes every or around 3,500 miles. Its so cheap for an oil change, why not give your engine the best treatment more often? I know on any thread there will be ones with you and against you but i know I will not fall for BS readings from results of an oil sample.
I change mine every 3000 miles no matter what. 5qt of oil and a filter is a lot cheaper then an engine and labor. i forgot to mention i have 214.000 on the clock and it runs well.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Well done mrfixit

Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Been changing my dyno oil every 5K or synthetic every 7.5K for decades. I said decades. I regularly hit 200K+ miles before trading or selling. I've had ZERO engine oil related problems. ZERO! Never had oil analyzed. The 3k mile change edict is a whole lotta horse hockey shoved down the public's throat to keep the execs at JiffeyLube and the like on Hawaiian and Tahitian beaches, Mai Tais in hand with big cheesy grins across their criminal faces.

Another "this guy" story? I new this guy who said he's owned 20 vehicles in his life averaging 150K miles and never changed a drop of oil on any of them. Just topped off when needed. He had one engine blow on him but zero problems besides. I sure don't recommend that practice but it's a small bit of evidence of how robust engines can be.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 07-13-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 PM

If that is how many miles you want to go on each oil change, you have that right. Are you gaining anything big on doing so, absolutely not. Sure oils made today are by far better but it stick breaks down and when it does, other problem can come up as in leaks, problems with valve guides, the list goes on and on. Sure engines are tough but i dont understand how some people would mistreat them, the cost of an oils change isnt that much.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 AM

"Gain anything big" Probably not in respect to a personal financial gain. It's just two or three less times a year I have to take the time to crawl under there to do the deed. It's most definitely big in terms of environmental concerns. Not at all saying you fit this category but there are still far too many blockheads who dump their oil anywhere they see fit. Double the number of oil changes due to the 3K edict and multiply by say a 500k changes a day getting dumped anywhere. It gets ugly. Even for those who make the "execs" happy, that oil has to be transported and processed. That chain is open to human error, spills, abuse, etc.

" don't understand how some people would mistreat them". Depends on your definition of mistreat. I don't see any on this end.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html
http://autos.aol.com/article/3000-mi...ge-not-needed/

Last edited by Raptor 07; 06-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 AM

When i use the word mistreat in this aspect , im meaning with keeping the oil in for a longer period. Oil, even as good as it is made in todays standard, will start to sludge up and this is just the start of the problems that will come. I had a friend that need valve cover gaskets done (in 2012)on his 2001 Dodge Ram, he was one of those 5,000 mile guys and had this truck from brand new. Pulling the covers off, it was sludge city. He has now changed his intervals from what i have told him and what he has read in mags /online, not to mention what he saw on his own truck.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM

Hey, we agree to disagree. Such is life. Enjoy.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 06-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.