Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

oil light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:28 AM
Default oil light

Hi folks,

My oil pressure warning light came on with a chime last night. I pulled over and called roadside recovery, when he arrived, he couldn't see any sign of leaks. Checked the oil and it was over filled if anything. The light went off so he suggested i keep an eye on it and call if it happens again. This morning it came on and off very quickly, then flashed on again as i was pulling up at work (total journey 16 miles). I've just had the head gasket replaced (3 weeks ago), and within the last year had the oil cooler replaced. I know the light can indicate other things than oil pressure but can't find it in the manual. Any ideas? electric? oil pump failing? could it be the sensor is triggered by it having too much oil in? any thoughts before i take it to the garage this evening would be great. It is a 2.8 diesel with 106k on the clock

Old 03-18-2016, 04:16 PM

This overfilled with what. Does the oil look like oil and not inclusive of coolant. The other one is fuel in the oil which would lower the oil pressure and bring in warning light. But this engine has not got the injectors inside the cam covers so no spill going into the lubricating oil. If I hadn't overfilled it I would be draining the sump to see what was in it.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 AM
Default Oil pressure

Oil pressure sensor some times get weird over time offen when hot.

If oil level is to high oil temp. gets to high and oil pressure drops quit common.

It can also get rough idle when oil get througe turbo to inlet manifold becourse oil level block the turbo oil return pipe.

Worst case is runaway engine (total wreck)

How did you oil cooler fail ? oil in water or water in oil ?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM

Hi, I'm with goggs personally I'd look at draining the oil and see whats in there. On some models the light also indicates that the oil needs changing. Now given that the head gasket has just been done, depending on how careful they were, coolant could have made its way into the oil and that would be enough to trigger a warning.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:45 AM
Default Oil light

Originally Posted by Vonhofinvule
Hi, I'm with goggs personally I'd look at draining the oil and see whats in there. On some models the light also indicates that the oil needs changing. Now given that the head gasket has just been done, depending on how careful they were, coolant could have made its way into the oil and that would be enough to trigger a warning.
Yes your certainly right , if coolant find it's way to the oil it will set oil light .

but it's gonea be realy bad not only a teacup !

I would not dear to run the engine again before draining the oil pan and see if there is water in it. a hint could be if you can see grunge stuf (brown or green ) on the oil filler cap or in the hose from crank case ventilation .

and of course missing coolant in coolant ressoire tank.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:57 AM

Try messure the oil pressure with a gauge , Then you know for sure if pressure is okay.

Manny work shops has a trend to over fill with oil and if you didn't pull the oil stick before this happend when who knows what to relay on.

I personally pull the oil stick ones a week and hold a light pen to the side of the collant ressoire to check level. Don't take of the cap , even if engine is cold a small amount of wappor will get out and after a some time you think itsmissing / leaking coolant.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:52 AM

hi guys, thanks for your input. So, the oil pressure is absolutely fine. As is the level - the AA guy was looking in the dark, but in the daylight the level is bang on max, so apologies for the red herring. The garage replaced the oil pressure sensor switch assuming it must be that.I picked it up this morning but the light came on after about 8 miles. I returned to the garage and they retested the pressure - it is absolutely fine still. I did the key dance, and that came up with codes P0700 / P0100 /P0520 /P1685 I really appareciate any help....

Last edited by voyager200; 03-23-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:52 AM

Forgot to say, there is no gunge or residue in the oil cap and the coolant tank hasn't lost any level.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:47 AM
Default P code

Originally Posted by voyager200
hi guys, thanks for your input. So, the oil pressure is absolutely fine. As is the level - the AA guy was looking in the dark, but in the daylight the level is bang on max, so apologies for the red herring. The garage replaced the oil pressure sensor switch assuming it must be that.I picked it up this morning but the light came on after about 8 miles. I returned to the garage and they retested the pressure - it is absolutely fine still. I did the key dance, and that came up with codes P0700 / P0100 /P0520 /P1685 I really appareciate any help....
Every time you disconect some thing the computer set a code , remember to disconect the battery before messing around.

You will a lot of error code for nothing.

All P code also got a sub code and the code your are reading out is only a hint about a possible error. The sub code tells you more deitale about the problem.

P0700 is a problem with auto transmission (700 range is transmission)
P0100 Air mass sensor (did you try to disconnect sensor and it set the code)
P0520 Oil sensor (it could set the code when changing the sensor)
P1685 SKIM (Theft lock ) could be if you had low battey power. No worrys about this code unless you can't start the car.

If you could read the sub code on P0520 is will proberly tell some thing about a broken wire or short ) bad conection !

Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 AM

8 out 10 times on a Voyager diesel it's the wire harness and not the components on the engine , all the vibrations and a bad front engine mount can cause a broken wire the moste impossible places you would be supprise.

And again look on the back side of the fusebox is can be a real bogger.All the conectors can be corroded and set a lot of errors.

Quick Reply: oil light