Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

only 2 plugs spark

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Default only 2 plugs spark

I have a 1996 T & C w/ 3.3 engine. Driving 45 mph down the road and the engine dies, no warning no sounds just shuts off.
The mechanic says it is only firing on two cylinders, replaces two sensors a coil thing and then takes it to the dealer where they test everything on the wiring harness and can't find any problems.
Still only fires on two plugs and because it has 130,000 mile the dealer says I really need to consider a new vehicle. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? It has been a great van, and ran great before it just stopped. I did replace the altenator just before this happened.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: only 2 plugs spark

why did u replace the alt they never go bad unless it's noise or installed incorrectly. What are the check engine light codes?

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Well if you have a V6 motor and firing on 2 cylinders, that means you are misfiring on 4 cylinders and your ck engine should have come on and giving you some (P) codes. P0300,P0301,P0302,P0303,P0304,P0305 and P0306. The1996-1998 motors had some problems, but without more information , its hard to say what is wrong with your engine. If you can, get your hands on a scanner and do a dry and wet compression test.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 PM

replaced the alt because is was not putting out enough amps. After a few days the van would not start, recharge the battery and it would run another 3-4 days or so etc.
There were two error codes relating to emissions about three years ago, mechanic replaced all parts he knew off and still check engine light was lit so we drove it with the light on. One of the items replaced this time was the computer that stores the codes, it has not ran since they replaced it so there are no codes now.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:40 PM

There is no spark at all on 4 cyl. One mechanic did not take out the fuel pump relay so the gas washed out the oil in the cylinders. He did a compression test and only got 65 lbs. Another mech put oil in the cylinder turned it over a few times and all cylinders were at about 140 lbs.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

u wasted your money on the ALT just FYI the car will changes the amount of amps put out by the load on the engine at any given time. IF u can tell me which 2 has fire then I can point u in a right direction from the sound of u u have broken or grounded wires for the other 4 ign coil drivers or u shorted out the PCM in the proscess.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM

update, they have replaced an expansion plate which they said was cracked and was not, they are now replacing the PCM (which they said originally was fine) I guess we are really grasping for straws. They said they pulled the wiring harness and tested every lead, that would have found any short or grounded wire wouldsn't it?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM

Cylinders 1, 2 & 4 are firing now. (After they changed the flexplate or flywheel)
Got billed today for cam sensor, crank sensor, timing chain and gears, electric control module, plugs and flexplate.
Still no where closer to running than when I brought it to them.
Any ideas?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM

over $2000 in repairs and still won't start. Any ideas what I should do?

Gary

Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

take it else where and have them give some of your money back they are just guessing on what to do. If u can get some detail stuff like volt reference at cam and crank sensors and such that would help out on here becuase I can do not test it myself.

Quick Reply: only 2 plugs spark