Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Default Over Heating

My van Is a 2009 with 3.3 T/C. the temp gauge started going up when I was stop at idle, it never went in the red, but when I started moving again it came back to normal. When I got home after dark I look all around did not see any leaks, but the Reservoir was a little low about down to the bottom of the neck. I could not open the cap to look in the radiator it was to hot. Could this be the only problem? Thanks
David

Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Sounds like the classic. It goes like this....

1) Antifreeze not been changed after 5 years use.
2) Therefore ally radiator for coolant corrodes and gets blocked.
3) Thermostat jams in the open position as it is designed to.
4) Driver observes a lot of up and down movement in temp. gauge.

Remedy; change radiator, (it won't flush), replace thermostat or fit Leedsman's second thermostat in top hose (see posting and pix.). Fill with 50-50 solution of HOAT antifreeze such as Comma Go-5. Run it a few miles to get rid of air in the system, top up header tank as required.
Cost? There could be some change out of £300 as a DIY job. Might buy you a packet of ****.

Leedsman.
ps, one assumes the cooler fans were working.

Last edited by Leedsman; 05-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Did some looking today in the light and when I move the to heater core hose It leaks. I can't tell if it is coming from the hose or the male part of the heater core. Is this a regular problem? If its the male end of the heater core what do I do with that? As soon as it stops raining I will pull the heater hose and look at the end of that. Pray for me. Thanks for the help
David

Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM

It was the hose, it look like it had been put on badly. But I just bought this van how do I know what coolant was in it? It was green Ha Ha You said replace it with HOAT not knowing whats in it should I replace all off it? If so what is the best way to do it DIY I have to save money Thanks
David

Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 AM

If I were you I'd replace the antifreeze immediate. This HOAT stuff is orange usually, and it stands for "Hybrid-Organic-Antifreeze-Technology". On second thoughts, it could be "Acid-Technology". It's specially mixed for long-term use where there is much aluminium about such as cyl. heads, radiator cores. When ally "rusts" it forms a white excrescence which is hard, blocks the rad. and makes cyl. head bolts seize. This corrosion won't flush. The Comma GO-5 is HOAT antifreeze according to it's description. There should be no trouble, as draining is by taking off the bottom hose. (My old rad. which I kept, has a little drain tap at the bottom,-- this may do the job if yours also has the tap).Just be sure you get the air out of the sysyem.
Handy tip to know:-- You can tell if an ally rad has become blocked with corrosion if you look along the top of the rad. It should be dead-straight. If it has a slight curve, it's blocked. This tip was from a rad. manufacturer, "Northern Radiators" here in Leeds.
The antifreeze should be replaced after 5 years for sure, otherwise much grief and expense. So if you buy a second-hand motor over 5 years old with an ally. rad., this situation should be investigated pronto.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 05-16-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the info. If I pull the bottom hose will that get all the green coolant out so I can put the HOAT stuff in instead? Thanks for your time and help.
David

Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 AM

Sorry to keep asking so much but should I replace the Thermostat at the same time. and is there any other thing that needs to be done when I do the coolant change? Thanks
David

Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 AM

IAT / OAT / NOAT / HOAT. What you should use is HOAT and HOAT is always called GO-5.

HOAT can be two different colours, (1) orange which has 10% recycled antifreeze and (2) yellow [the better one] which has no recycled antifreeze content. The Comma brand of GO-5, usually the only really accessible one in the UK [Chrysler (MS-9769)] There is a 5 year shelf life from the date of manufacture, the date can be identified from a five figure code printed on the bottle. The first three figures indicate the day of the year, the last two figures the year.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
If I were you I'd replace the antifreeze immediate...
I agree.

... This HOAT stuff is orange usually, and it stands for "Hybrid-Organic-Antifreeze-Technology". On second thoughts, it could be "Acid-Technology".
Close, according to my owners manual it stands for "Hybrid Organic Additive Technology"

The Comma GO-5 is HOAT antifreeze according to it's description.
Comma G05 in not available in the US, we have Zerex G-05 instead.

Handy tip to know:-- You can tell if an ally rad has become blocked with corrosion if you look along the top of the rad. It should be dead-straight. If it has a slight curve, it's blocked...
Thanks for the great tip.

George

Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Okay, so I'll ask the obvious question: Are the cooling fans operating properly?

Quick Reply: Over Heating