Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners opinion of Town & Country

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Default Owners opinion of Town & Country

I Was thinking of getting a 2012 Town And Country because we had recently loved one that we rented when we went on vacation. I just was wondering what current owners think of their purchase and would you have done it again. I know alot of post are on problems they are having. Is it a common thing. I would love to know your thoughts. thanks Trevor

Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 AM

I've not had mine long, so still in the honeymoon period. It seems natural to me that sites like this will mostly list problems (and hopefully some shared solutions too). That does not reflect on whether the motor is a pleasure to own or not.

The general impression that I get from folk on this this forum is that most owners really like/love their Voyager/Town&Country in spite of a few problems. I looked around a lot before buying mine and I'd say that the Chrysler is the best in class. Great value for money if you don't do high miles. It's tough to be stylish with a family work-horse/Van/Hauler, but the only other vehicle that looks this good in this class is a Volkswagen Caravelle...for over twice the price.

Another important item, something I've overlooked and then regretted in the past, is that my Wife really likes this vehicle. If SWMBO is happy then the world at large is probably a better place.

Happy Motoring.
Munro
UK South Coast/New Forest
Jaguar XJR
Triumph Spitfire

Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM

I too have only had my G.Voyager a short time. It's had it's problems -- the usual sort caused by lack of maintenance -- all too common when you buy a vehicle second-hand but new to you.
One endemic problem is a too-small battery plus a too heavy drain by the system's various microprocessors. But read Qinteq's postings about using a solar charger mounted on the front parcel shelf. (There's a ping-pong discussion about this on "How to change the battery without losing the radio code").

If you get a petrol one, expect it to be thirsty; but it's not at all bad compared to others of the type, say a petrol Range-Rover at 9mpgUK. in London traffic! The GV should do around 12 to16mpgUK. urban, something over 20 on the motorway. If you find a decent one with an LPG conversion, bite his hand off! Otherwise, the diesel 2.8 CRD is very reasonable on fuel. Remember the GV weighs 2.1 tons british.

I find the ride is very soft and relaxing, typical old american design philosopy. Suits me fine. Of course it IS what it is, a "bus", so don't expect it to handle like a Jaguar.

This is the most practical motor I've ever come across. You can shift lots of people in it, or shift lots of furniture - great if you are an antique dealer, with the "stow and go" seating system, giving you a flat loading floor.

Size-wise, it's a bit smaller than a Tranny, a bit bigger than a Tranny-Connect.

I find the autobox is excellent, but then didn't Chrysler invent automatic gearboxes around 1935? The 6th gear ratio is an overdrive, so should make fuel consumption on the motorway more reasonable. Full marks for the autobox dipstick, something missing on many modern autoboxes. Don't ever believe the nonsense about autoboxes being "sealed for life". One american wag called ZF autoboxes as being "sealed for death". And he was dead right. There is even a website called "The lurch" dealing with all the problems with ZF's 6HP26 box.

So.... if you're buying one of these, give it a good test ride, get the engine fully hot which will take 10 to 15 miles if it's a diesel. Check starting as this engine is a 'chugger' when cranking, it doesn't spin rapidly, but it does start easy if the battery is ok. Check the electric loading doors that both work.
Apart from that above, make the usual checks when buying any second-hand motor.
Enjoy your experience.....

Leedsman.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks for your opinions any one else have one?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 AM
Default 2012 tc

We did the same as you, we went on vacation last year and rented a 2012 TC and loved it. I would have never even considered buying one (come from a Chevy family) until we rented one. Well, we bought a used 2012 TC with low miles and LOVE it. We have had it for a little over a month and it is great for kids, DVD player, power sliding doors and lift gate. Love the storage area and soft ride. Can't wait to take it on a long road trip to see how it handles.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM

My curreny vehicle is an older one but I love this 2007 Chrysler Town and Country Touring. I dont know if a prior owner did any tuning but with variables in favor i can get little over 33 mpg with cc set @ 65. This 3.8 is strong and the same 5 quarts of oil that goes in is the same that comes out in my 5000 mile intervals.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Hi from Sweden

Although we now call it Lancia Voyager, same car as your T&C
Im 40, surfer, had set my mind on a Jeep GC, or Audi Q7, but, prior had a T&C 2003, and the inside size, Stow&Go, power doors, reverse camera and all other gizmos, and not least, my daughter can "recline" her passenger set at 2nd row and sleeps like a baby on long trips, I love the car sofar.

Ok, the 2.8 Diesel isn´t a racer, but, who buys a car like this and want speed ?. Sure, could use little more grunt when overtaking other cars, but at lower speed the torque is sufficient for overtakes and fuel consumtion is awesome, 0.76l/10km for my longtrip we are on now here my petrol V6 took 1.1l/10km.

Only one little "issue" as I´m tall, the driver seat could use a higher back, then I would sit more comfortable, but that so far (had it 3 days only) is my only "complain" and do note, this aint a problem for normal guys (I´m 192cm tall).

//Fred

Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 PM

I have the 2013 Chrysler T/C and love it. We can't get the diesel in America but the V-6 has plenty of power and averages about 25mpg on the freeway. This is my second Chrysler mini van. My first was a 2005 Dodge GC and I had good luck with that one which is why I got the Chrysler. Does Chrysler make the minivan in Europe, or is imported?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 AM

I think the diesel situation in the US is changing. More motors seem to be available with diesel engine options. This is prob. european makers influence, the VW Golf or "Rabbit" springs to mind.
I read one time the Grand Voyager was made in Austria, there nay be a Mercedes connexion here. No Merc. diesel though -- its a VM Motari -- and I do believe it's now a a V6 3ltr. diesel on the latest GVs. Nothing wrong with the Motari, there must be thousands of London taxis using them, so it's likely a very long service life will be had from them.
BTW, 25mpgUS translates to 30mpgUK near enough.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 08-24-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM

What kind of mileage does the diesel get over there on these mini vans?
I didn't realize till I found this site that Europe even heard of Chrysler, as they exported very little besides the Jeep and I didn't think many associated the Jeep belonging to Chrysler. When I was over in England, Ireland and Scotland yeas ago, I only saw a couple of Chrysler mini vans. Are they pretty popular there now?

These new 5th generation mini vans are so much nicer than any of them built before. I helped it along by buying the imitation wood trim that goes around the video screen, temp. controls, door switches, glove box lock, air vents and even the gear shift lever. Really sets it off, as it matches the wood look trim Chrysler puts on the dash and door. Wasn't sure it would stick in this hot Arizona weather, but it does.

Quick Reply: Owners opinion of Town & Country