Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

P0032 AFTER P/S pump failure and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Default P0032 AFTER P/S pump failure and replacement

OK many of you long timers here know me on here, I need help.USA 04 T&C 3.8 gas. The power steering pump went out(leaked all around the pulley's and belt. When I parked it yesterday in spot to change the pump...all was well(no CEL).Replaced the pump today and upon start up I immediately had a DTC of P0032. Pump job is good, no more leak, not too bad by taking the cowl/wiper assembly off. I rechecked connectors for the O2 and at throttle body that I had unhooked for better working room...all is good.
MY fear is the the alternator got soaked with P/S fluid and shorted out diodes or something as the alt. is very wet behind the pulley. But no alt warning light and car runs well with the only exception that RPM's seem about 500 rpm higher at cruise(55 mph) speed, sitting right at 2,000 instead of around 1500+/-. I have not yet checked the fuse box and fuses, but this "glitch" really hit me "right between the eye's" for an O2 code!
Yes I just got done eating dinner after giving up on the van for the day at 5:00 pm(I spent 7 hours doing the job)!
Looking forward to some help here to get my T7c back to "par"!

Last edited by REBEL59; 03-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM

The weather and family plans are going to cause a delay in "digging" back into the problem for the weekend, Going to get my DVOM out and then start checking the harness wiring for the front O2 sensor and sensor itself. Who knows, at 189k miles and original sensor it MAY have just decided to "give up the ghost" same time as P/S pump blew! At least the cowl/wiper assembly will be an easy removal again for direct access to the sensor for change if needed!

Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM

3/21/19 UPDATE:
Well I have good ground circuit thru the engine harness side wire for the B1S1(front) O2 sensor, Stone cold(not run) I get 12v for about 4 seconds(key on engine off) on the engine harness side power wire for same. NO power when engine running. Pretty sure(but could use help) that the ECM/PCM is bad for that circuit. I have no diagrams or or pin out charts to help me figure this one out. But certain it's NOT the B1S1 O2 sensor.

Last edited by REBEL59; 03-21-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

go back and look around the area you did the work did you crush some wires for the 02 sensors? the 1/1 is in the area of the ps pump

Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
go back and look around the area you did the work did you crush some wires for the 02 sensors? the 1/1 is in the area of the ps pump
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately...been there done that already! only thing left wiring wise is to open up harness sheathing and look at wires where they come across the side motor mount area, as there was a fairly good soaking from sprayed P/S fluid.
I am no "newbie" to auto repair, and that was the first thing I checked from first starting after getting the pump job done.
Alternator took a good soaking also, and why I posted of that "fear", but alternator function is good and no symptoms of trouble from the charging system...Like I've read of many early model Pacifica's!
I will keep this thread updated as I progress on checks and repairs.

EDIT: Also see my thread LOST HORN FUNCTION, as I also talk of more of what I've done with this problem(P0032) and some other "quirks".

Last edited by REBEL59; 03-23-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM

Is there any chance that you might have pulled on a wire and caused an internal break, or a partially pulled loose connector?

Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

did you get a wire diagram yet?

Old 03-25-2019, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
did you get a wire diagram yet?
Member Billtheaxe sent a PDF copy of the 04 factory manual(THANKS). But have not had time to look thru and find the wiring section yet due to life's doings, hope to get some time on that tonight.
I want to find that last ground point that I've read about in the lower LF corner, but fear the TIPM/Fuse block is my trouble about the HORN(now working)/ loss of radio sound). And still baffled by the P0032(TIPM swap did not affect that problem).
Thanks for showing the concern to respond!

Old 03-25-2019, 04:00 PM

3/25/19 UPDATE: Well it is not fixed yet...BUT I now know what I need to order! AFTER buying a new DVOM and getting specs from that factory manual...All is good in the TIPM,PCM and engine harness. The heater circuit in the O2 sensor is bad!
It must have just been a coincidental failure while limping home with the leaking P/S pump...after all it's got 188k miles on it!
Ordered the sensor thru rockauto and should be here next week...BIG price difference from same brand at the local "box" stores!

While waiting(car is still driveable), I'm going to see if I can open up the TIPM with the bad horn circuit, and see if I can affect a fix for it. I am running with the TIPM that does not let the audio sound work, but at least I have a working horn to blast at animals(deer, cows, horses and the like) in the roads that I frequent!....YES, I live out in the "sticks"!

Last edited by REBEL59; 03-27-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 PM
Default Help

Hi sorry I didn’t know another way to get into contact with you with this question , I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica a couple hours ago my car start riding rough and then my check engine light came on blinking now it’s not blinking only when I drive and hit a certain mileage 55mph it’s not blinking anymore but still shuttering when I drive help please

Quick Reply: P0032 AFTER P/S pump failure and replacement