Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

P0073 - Ambient Air Intake Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

no prob glad its fixed

Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Default Ax75 ambient air temperature sensor

I am posting this to clear the air on a common mistake people keep making for the Chrysler Town And Country, Volkswagen Routan, and Dodge Grand Caravan.

Like a lot of people, my van's dash temperature reading for the temperature outside was going haywire (130 degrees when it is 30 degrees outside).

That's because your AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR has went bad, and is throwing a check engine code on your message board.

A lot of people are confusing this with the AIR INTAKE SENSOR, but it is NOT.

The AIS is in your intake.

The Ambient Air Temperature Sensor is in your air dam, recessed and clipped to the back support.

Just look for AX75 Ambient Air Sensor and it will be around $12. Easy to fix, and takes 5 minutes.

Glad I could help.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a 2004 Sebring Conv. My temperature display always says something crazy..like it's-50°F outside. I looked up the error code and it's the sensor located under my battery i believe. Had new tires put on the front so I asked my mechanic to go ahead and replace it. He said it would take 2 hours? That sound right?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by jfaudisales
Thanks for the info. I have a 2004 Sebring Conv. My temperature display always says something crazy..like it's-50°F outside. I looked up the error code and it's the sensor located under my battery i believe. Had new tires put on the front so I asked my mechanic to go ahead and replace it. He said it would take 2 hours? That sound right?
Under the battery is the adjustment from the old school 14.4 volts to 13.7 volt lead acid charging rate for your battery nothing to do with the AIS.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by gr00vyd0
Problem solved! Initially the dealer parts man told me to check/replace the WRONG sensor. The p0073 code has to do with the sensor up under the bumper (which turned out just have a broken wire - the wire is naturally exposed). What ended up solving it was when I got a new sensor from the dealer to replace the one I thought was bad - the new one WAS bad and it threw the new code ... My haynes manual was toatally useless and the dealer parts man was destructive. Now, I have an extra sensor (that will probably never go bad) that they were REALLY proud of ($28) ... thanks TECH for at trying to help me with my BAD information. Rich

Hi I'm currently having the same problem, check engine light on codes reading p0073 and p0128 I did look into the bumper area and seen underneath the car wire was hanging and no sensor was connected but just looking at the wiring there I see that is exposed and the black plastic or tape that was around it is no good. Spliced wires it looked like. So I get that I need a new sensor but as for the wiring how do I change or fix the ones I have. The p0128 code is just the thermostat so I'm good with that. Oh and where does the ambient sensor connect to like I said it was hanging underneath so I assume I should replace the harness for it to clip to?? Do I need to remove the entire bumper to fix or replace the wires for the sensor.