Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Please help! Loosing my mind!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Default Please help! Loosing my mind!

Hello all,
I have a 2010 town and country with the 4.0 motor.

Here's the problem, I have p0430 code that is haunting me to no end! And before anyone says "it's the cat, replace the cat" I've had it pressure tested and visually inspected, passed with flying colors. And it occasionally stalls out at a stop or just putting in reverse or into drive from reverse, but always stopped. Still has all it's power, no hesitation, she gets up and goes no drama when your on the gas.

Now, I have replaced all 4 o2 sensors, (what a pain that was, literally) cleaned the EGR valve, replaced the battery and terminals. Had the cats pressure tested and inspected.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on diagnostic fees at privately owned shops and the dealership, only to be told they can't figure it out, or replicate the issue. Or the dealership wants to bring out the parts cannon and replace everything, including a $1200 cat replacement job, even after I provided the documentation of the tests conducted on the cats.

Can't find any vaccum leaks, so I don't think it's that.
With this stupid check engine light on my poor wife can't use her automatic starter, and we live in the frigid north.
Please help!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

I think you should do some research on what and how a PCM will call for a 420 or 430 code. this is the brief ver of it. If you would like a more details and technical version I would be happy to post it.

Possible causes Three way catalyst converter Bank 2 Exhaust tube Intake air leaks Fuel injectors may be faulty Fuel injector leaks Spark plugs may be faulty Improper ignition timing Engine Control Module (ECM) What does this mean? Tech notes As the code description implies the P0430 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0430 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
I think you should do some research on what and how a PCM will call for a 420 or 430 code. this is the brief ver of it. If you would like a more details and technical version I would be happy to post it.

Possible causes Three way catalyst converter Bank 2 Exhaust tube Intake air leaks Fuel injectors may be faulty Fuel injector leaks Spark plugs may be faulty Improper ignition timing Engine Control Module (ECM) What does this mean? Tech notes As the code description implies the P0430 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0430 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

Thank you for your response,

I replaced the spark plugs and coils about 40k miles ago. I don't smell any gas under the Hood anywhere around the intake plenum, so I don't think the fuel injectors are leaking. There does seem to be a very very small flucuation in the rpms when running, typically like at a stop in drive, kinda like a rough idle, the rpms flicker between 500 and 700 at idle when in drive at a stop, stays at 500 or flickers to 600 and back to 500 when in park. But very intermittently.

I'm not sure what else to check, or where to go from here.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

you did not read the description of what the PCM looks for did ya?
Both 02 sensors look for the amount of AIR before and after cat based off an equation it will determine if the converter is doing it job or not.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
you did not read the description of what the PCM looks for did ya?
Both 02 sensors look for the amount of AIR before and after cat based off an equation it will determine if the converter is doing it job or not.
So your basically telling me my cat is bad cuz the o2 sensors say its not doing it's job. Even tho I had the cat pressure tested and visually inspected. Or do I have a leak somewhere that I haven't found as of yet letting more air into the system?

I have read this page over and over

https://www.autocodes.com/p0430_chrysler.html

So I recognized what you we're typing right from the start. It is frustrating to say the least when you only understand half of what most websites have to say on the subject.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:39 AM

You say the EGR valve was "cleaned", that does NOT mean it is functioning at 100%. Usually they also have a type of "transducer(vacuum or electrical ) that works with the valve, they can malfunction also. For that code you are getting , all it takes is any minor crack in the exhaust that can allow outside air into the exhaust system AHEAD of the downstream O2 sensors(and cat.) and that can throw the code also. I also have an 09 spectra that kept throwing a similar converter code and it turned out to be a minor crack in the exhausts flex pipe(inside of a braided wire wrap), NEVER sounded loud or like an exhaust leak, but replacement fixed the problem. So have the Exhaust front pipes, manifolds and connections thoroughly inspected.
As to the idle flux...still sounds like EGR valve "fluttering" and not working as designed.
Good luck and please keep the forum informed to any progress.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
You say the EGR valve was "cleaned", that does NOT mean it is functioning at 100%. Usually they also have a type of "transducer(vacuum or electrical ) that works with the valve, they can malfunction also. For that code you are getting , all it takes is any minor crack in the exhaust that can allow outside air into the exhaust system AHEAD of the downstream O2 sensors(and cat.) and that can throw the code also. I also have an 09 spectra that kept throwing a similar converter code and it turned out to be a minor crack in the exhausts flex pipe(inside of a braided wire wrap), NEVER sounded loud or like an exhaust leak, but replacement fixed the problem. So have the Exhaust front pipes, manifolds and connections thoroughly inspected.
As to the idle flux...still sounds like EGR valve "fluttering" and not working as designed.
Good luck and please keep the forum informed to any progress.
Thanks for your reply Rebel,
I will look into replacing the EGR Valve, what would you suggest I start checking? ie: places where air can get in ahead of the downstream o2 sensors, and is there a special light or tool I can use to help find and cracks or leaks? And could the EGR valve be the culprit of the random stallings?

Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Michael2212
Thanks for your reply Rebel,
I will look into replacing the EGR Valve, what would you suggest I start checking? ie: places where air can get in ahead of the downstream o2 sensors, and is there a special light or tool I can use to help find and cracks or leaks? And could the EGR valve be the culprit of the random stallings?
And I will find a place to get the exhaust inspected.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 AM

I don't have the later model or 4.0(I have an 04,3.8). A good work light and jackstands to get underneath and use your EYEBALLS. Look for signs of black carbon "staining around flanges,pipe welds and such. ANY carbon tracking to outside of exhaust pipes is sign of a leak. I have also used a helper to hold a thick rag blocking the tailpipe while underneath to feel for exhaust leaks while the motor was idling. Like I said even a small leak can mess with the readings the downstream O2 sensor works from. So concentrate from them forward to the motor.
On the same theory, IF the EGR valve is not seating fully closed(as it should at idle) ,this is a source of air that will do the same thing to the sensors.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
I don't have the later model or 4.0(I have an 04,3.8). A good work light and jackstands to get underneath and use your EYEBALLS. Look for signs of black carbon "staining around flanges,pipe welds and such. ANY carbon tracking to outside of exhaust pipes is sign of a leak. I have also used a helper to hold a thick rag blocking the tailpipe while underneath to feel for exhaust leaks while the motor was idling. Like I said even a small leak can mess with the readings the downstream O2 sensor works from. So concentrate from them forward to the motor.
On the same theory, IF the EGR valve is not seating fully closed(as it should at idle) ,this is a source of air that will do the same thing to the sensors.

I will do that in the next couple days, it's spose to be warmer over the weekend lol I'm in Minnesota, been kinda cold as of late and my garage isn't insulated the best! Haha

Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help! Loosing my mind!