Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Immobiliser Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Default Possible Immobiliser Issue

First and foremost, Good morning/evening (delete as appropriate!) I'm new here and notvery knowledgeable on Chryslers!

Today I decided it was time to change the brakes on the Voyager (1998, 3.3L automatic). I tool my tools, got the car jack, put the car in park and pulled the hand-brake. Jacked the car, changed the brake, lowered the car and then realised I had re-locked the car after getting the jack out, possibly activating the immobiliser. (on my merc my alarm is annoyingly sensitive - I would have heard it way too many times by now!)

So I unlock the car (using the remote fob) and get in, I try to start the car. The engine turns over one or twice then I get a "relay clicking" sound... or what sounds like a relay clicking. Since then, I can't get the engine to turn over even, the clicking sound is all I get!

The lights are get are "Alarm Set" (on the dashboard) for about 5/10 seconds after turning the key to the ON position, and a flashing red light under "ALARM" (on the radio area) always on. Also, there is the "door open" beepingsound evenwhen the door is open, even if I don'thave any lights on. Strange thing is, this happens whether the key is in the ignition or not!

I've tried disconnecting the battery, gettinga beer, waiting an hour, reconnecting it and re-trying - same clicking. Now I'venoticed my central locking fob doesn't always respond, but the central locking button in the car does (albeit it dims the footwell lights when activated).

I'm hoping that I just have a flat battery, and will put it on charge tomorrow - but is there a way to reset the immobiliser? On my merc, there is an unlock, turn on/off/on, wait xx seconds, start car sequence that resets it - but I have no clue if this exists on the Chrysler!

Thank you in advance,
Michele

p.s. reading other threads: my key has a grey plastic end roughly the size of a ... not sure! Can't find anything roughly its size! I also have a spare key that I haven't tried yet and a central locking fob.... also, it was raining at the time, which I'de hope doesn't make a difference!

Thanks again,
Michele

Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Possible Immobiliser Issue

u dont have a chip key there for u dont have an immoblizer issue. try the batt first of all.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, I tried again this morning, the engine turned over (no clicking sound) then showed the usual signs of a flat battery... My guess is that I got some rainwater in the central locking button which was causing a contact (hence the clicking)...

I can't find my charger, but I'll jump-start the car tomorrow evening or saturday - in the meantime Im waiting for some copper grease for the brakes!

I'll keep you informed!
Michele

Old 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Got it sorted! Apparently there were 2 issues - first the battery was flat, and secondly I had some water in the door panel that was arcing the door locking switch - a towel and some dissasembly and that was sorted too...

Now I need to get the rear brakes sorted; I've changed the front ones these days. I think the rear right might be binding...

Michele