Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Power Sliding Door and locking problems

Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Default Power Sliding Door and locking problems

Hi all. I am a newbie to the Chrysler scene and have myself a 04 Grand Voyager Limited XS CRD.
Have been really thrilled with it, but for a couple of weird problems that have occurred recently.

It started with a flat battery. Charged it up, but it went flat after a week of using the power doors / rear hatch etc in normal use.
In this time, the central locking was a bit odd. It would lock out the passengered when I started the car, seemingly when the battery was soon to die. (Also the dials would go right round the clock and drift back)

Discover it is a Optima battery, so replaced this.

No sooner have I done this and the passenger power door only pops when I use the remote or internal buttons. If I slide the door back and try the button to close it, it just locks the door instead with no attempt to close the door. - It does still soft close.

I'm also still getting the odd central locking ****le or drivers door that starts to close, then for no reason I can see, decides to open again.

Search high and low on this forum, but can't really see an avenue to start with. Please can anyone help? This is not covered on the warranty I was given, so would like to go to a garage with knowledge or attemt a DIY fix.

Many thanks (sorry for the long post)

Phil

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that I have tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins with no difference.
Also the VIN plate shows a 5Y5 which as the 8th digit is a 5 I understand this is a 2005 model? (Not sure how as it was 1st registered in 2004).

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:24 PM

Hi
Is the driver door stiff to close? could be cable or motor tight. Passenger door look for a broken wire in the wire track, normally the black wire.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:08 AM

Thanks for your reply Merlin,
It is hard to tell, they are the same as when I bought it... So nothing to compare to really. If it helps, my driveway is on a slight slope. If I nudge the drivers side door it steadily slides forward to about the latch pop position. The passenger side (faulty) does the same though much slower and seems to come to a stop when around 2/3 closed. 0 Does that make sense?
I'll take a look for the broken wire tonight. Is there a way to get into the wire track?

thanks,
Phil

Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Hi
Hard to say on the door normally you check the good side to the bad so wait till we fix the other door. Wire track just unpick a link grab the thick black wire and pull.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 AM

Hi,
Just to say a huge thank you to Merlin. You were spot on with the broken wire.
I finally had a chance to look at the weekend.
I have now fixed the offending wire and all is working well.
Thank you for saving me hard earned cash :-)

Old 12-07-2010, 02:25 PM

your welcome

Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM

how did you spot the broken wire, where was it broken?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 AM

Hi
It can brake at any location. Best to just unclip a link grab each wire in turn and gently pull each wire (be most likely a big black one) repair short term but advise the wire track is replace as a repair is unlikely to last.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 AM

Personally, I looked at the track and used process of illimination. I started where I felt the wire would be under most stress.
It was clean snapped where the wire track ends the car end, as opposed to where it fits to the door. This is where the wires meet other wires and are taped up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Sliding Door and locking problems