Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering return hose...problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Default Power Steering return hose...problem

Unfortunately, my new (2 months old) 2008 Town and Country LTD has an issue with the power steering (among others!). On Friday, due to the extreme cold temperatures up here (we're talking -45C plus wind) the rubber hose that connects to the metal pipe (I believe it is the return for the power steering fluid) popped off emptying ALL of the power steering fluid on the pavement. (it should be noted that I contacted my dealer up here and they are saying a minimum of 3 weeks BEFORE they can even look at my vehicle. Chrysler Roadside ***'t can't even secure a tow truck!!)

I tried many times to get that rubber hose back on with out success in the cold. I went out and got a hot air gun and managed to warm up the rubber tube enough to slide it back on to the metal pipe. I refilled the power steering fluid reservoir and started the vehicle back up. It worked until I stopped the vehicle and restarted it about 20 mins later. The hose popped off again. I figured the hose clamp was now toast. I went out and got two hose clamps (the kind you screw to tighten from the hardware store)....just wondering if this will solve the issue????

The rubber hose is located on the right side of the vehicle (facing the front) near the battery and anti-freeze reservoir.

HELP!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Default RE: Power Steering return hose...problem

That stinks---your car is DOWN with no PS fluid.

Ask the dealer if you can be reimbursed if an independent garage handles the repair in a more timely manner!

Good try with the two hose clamps. Hope it works.

Often P/S hoses are the kind with a metal end crimped onto the rubber. If this is the type, an auto parts store could suggest a place that makes hydraulic hoses for backhoes, etc. Otherwise you would need to replace it.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 AM

Here is an update:

The car was left out in a parking lot over 2 days with starting...it didn't like it when I tried to turn it over! I used my hot air gun to heat the rubber tube up and remove the existing clamp. I slide both metal (screw type) hose clamps on and popped the rubber tube onto the metal tube for the p/s. I tightened both clamps and refilled the p/s fluid and started the vehicle.

All seemed to work well. As the vehicle engine warmed up, the splashed fluid from the previous blow out was beginning to become more viscous and drip onto the ground. At first I was concerned but then realized it was not leaking and only dripping from the excess.

I left it run for about and 1 hr and drove it around to ensure all the fluid was circulated and the pump not burned out. Seems OK.

I only hope that now when my wife goes to take the car today and park it outside (it was put back into our unheated but covered garage overnight) that the hose clamps should work...

BTW, Chrysler Customer Service indicated to me that they would reimburse directly the independant garage (with an approved faxed estimate) as well as offered me $40 per day for a rental car. Normally they do not authorize the rental car until they get the estimate, but since this was an extreme case they put forth "good will". But since my issue "seems" to be fixed...I do not need to go ahead with that.

I was very surprised and impressed by this!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
moe

chrysler does bend over backwards for its customers.i see it every day.good company to work for its just the dealer ships that give the product a bad name.i hope some reads this from chrysler and gives me raise! btw i've never been in weather that cold brother burrrrrrrrrrrr!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 AM

***UPDATE***

Well, I am sad to say that my fix didn't really work. Actually, my fix did...but it would seem that the actual pump (not the one near the air intake at the front of the vehicle -but the one in the rear of the motor if there is even one) seems to be smoked.[&:]

On Saturday night I went out with my wife for dinner. It was pretty damn cold AGAIN (around -33C) and the vehicle was outside for about 3 hrs exposed. We had dinner and I remote started it. I didn't think anything of it until I got to the vehicle and tried to turn the wheel...hard as a rock. Popped the hood and saw a huge puddle of frozen power steering fluid under the vehicle. We took a taxi home and I cursed the whole way.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

The next morning I went out to try determine the issue. My clamps were still intack and the hose was still attached. But after refilling and starting the engine, I could hear a "seeping" sound coming from the rear most part of the engine...I looked underneath and BAM all the fluid was dripping from the rear of the engine. WTF! I guess the return pump (is there even one) is now cracked or just failed...I dunno.

Anyone have any ideas? I did finally get it towed to the Chrysler dealer as I had an appointment on Wed.

So here are the problems so far:

-Power 3rd row seats leftmost seat stuck in the "folded" position
-Right fog light burned out
-Pass. temp control **** stuck (cannot be turned)
-Front brakes squeaking and squeeling when coming to a slow stop...
-Oil change required (at only 4,000 kms!!!!)
-And of course my Power steering fiasco![:@]

The van is only 2 and half months old...I'm worried []

Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 PM

Have you try to wrap the hoses just like water pipes?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM

Well as I mentioned, the original problem (of the rubber hose popping off the metal tube) seemed to have worked. The clamps remained on and the hose never came off. This last time was more at the rear underside of the engine (when facing the engine it was on the right rear of the motor). To me it seemed like the pump was actually cracked or split. As it was not leaking where I had fixed it with the clamps.

Does wrapping the power steering hoses make that much of a difference? Have you performed that work or has Chrysler advised to do this in colder climates? I mean, the van is new (a 2008) you would think Chrysler did some cold weather testing...[:-]

Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 PM

No I have not perform any wrapping on the power steering lines. But I do see cars and trucks with heater elements from the east coast, that keep the engine block warm.I just thought maybe wrapping the lines may help.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 AM
moe

hi gumby, is this the set up your talking about?. i'm thinking the cold weather has alot to do with most of your problems.you think they would have tested the vans in colder weather conditions.moe

Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 AM

Hmmmm...thanks for the reply MOE. That is close, but it is on the other side of the engine bay. When facing the engine (it is on the right) and it is the rubber hose that inserts OVER TOP of a metal pipe or tube. This metal tube runs to the back of the engine and seems to connect into a square block of some sort.

As I mentioned, that issue of the hoses has been rectified by me putting two hose clamps on the rubber tube and reinserting the tube over top of the metal pipe. However the second time that the issue occured (was again during extreme cold -40C) and it was under the vehicle and far in the rear of the engine (near that square block I mentioned above).

I should find out today what the actual issue is as it is in to see Williams Chrysler in Fort McMurray.

Quick Reply: Power Steering return hose...problem