Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Privacy Glass.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Default Privacy Glass.

Does anyone know if the factory fitted privacy glass is actually smoked glass or a surface fitted tint film?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Definately smoked/tinted.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by AlanC
Definately smoked/tinted.
Ahh, right! Thought as much.

I've found a beauty but the dealer has said the privacy glass seems to be the stick on film kind... :-(

I'm not a big fan of that.. Back to the drawing board...!

Is there any significant differences between the Limited XS and the standard Executive models?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Which model and year is the vehicle?
As far as I'm aware, only the basic models had clear glass all round. If the dealer is reporting the stick on film then this could have been added in addition to the existing tinted glass or perhaps even fitted to the front side windows. If the latter then it could be illegal and may need to be removed. (But I would think the dealer knows that)

Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Which model and year is the vehicle?
As far as I'm aware, only the basic models had clear glass all round. If the dealer is reporting the stick on film then this could have been added in addition to the existing tinted glass or perhaps even fitted to the front side windows. If the latter then it could be illegal and may need to be removed. (But I would think the dealer knows that)
Thanks Alan.

Its a 2005 Limited XS.

I queried it as it does look a lot darker than usual, but that could be just the photo...

Name:  GetImage2_zps6f680539.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  63.6 KB

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 PM

I've just dug out my 2004 Chrysler brochure and according to that:

Dark sunscreen glass (B pillar rearward, including tailgate) was an option on the SE and LX but fitted as standard on the Limited and XS.

Of course non of this may be relevant because the brochure is from 2004 and the spec changed from year to year.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM

If it's a 2005 Limited XS then I would say that it's definately tinted glass. The level of tint in the photo looks about right to me. Compare the photo to some of those for sale in Autotrader.

Sometimes grease spots on the glass gives the impression of air bubbles but I think you should have a look at the car yourself to put your mind at rest.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM

I've just dug out my 2004 Chrysler brochure and according to that:

Dark sunscreen glass (B pillar rearward, including tailgate) was an option on the SE and LX but fitted as standard on the Limited and XS.

Of course non of this may be relevant because the brochure is from 2004 and the spec changed from year to year.
I wonder if she could be mistaken then... But I did specifically ask her to check and thats what she came back and told me...

The cynic in me thinks that may be so she doesn't have to transfer it to another branch and possibly lose the commission herself?

I would fear air bubbles and curling corners with the film type of tinting..

Ive also seen a nice 'Executive' model, which just seems to be missing the DVD player, but dies have climate control that the XS does not...

My head is hurting trying to find one....

Old 02-01-2014, 12:59 PM

If it's a 2005 Limited XS then I would say that it's definately tinted glass. The level of tint in the photo looks about right to me. Compare the photo to some of those for sale in Autotrader.

Sometimes grease spots on the glass gives the impression of air bubbles but I think you should have a look at the car yourself to put your mind at rest.
Its too far for me to travel Alan I'm in Orkney and the car is in Hull, so I have to take her word for now..

I may just tell her what you've said and ask her to double check though...

I can get a 2007 Executive for the same sort of money somewhere else though.. With the silver accents to the dash instead of dark wood.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 PM

It doesn't mention it in the spec on Autotrader but from what I can see on the internal shot it looks as though it's got SatNav and a DVD player.

Quick Reply: Privacy Glass.