Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Problems Refueling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Default Problems Refueling

Hi guys

i hope someone can help with this problem as I'm completely stumped on this one.

I have a 2001 UK Grand Voyager 2.5CRD and when I try to fill it up with diesel, the diesel pump keeps cutting out before i can even get a liter in the tank. It takes me around 10 mins to put 10 liters in the tank.

It keeps cutting out like there is back pressure in the tank or it is full, which it isn't. I've left the diesel cap of just in case there was pressure in the the tank but this has made no difference. The fuel gauge works perfectly normal and I'm averaging around 34.6 miles to the gallon tickover can be a bit erratic sometimes but not all the times.

Now I'm due trip to scotland but i don't fancy having to fill her up, as its likely to take me an hour just to fill her up

any suggestions welcome.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Default Refueling..

Hi Tomc,
Come to think of it my 2003 Grande LTD, has a fault like yours, where its the initial sticking the nozzle in the filler then pressing the trigger it happens. But on clicking a few times it starts to fill ok.
The Station nozzle is obviously shutting of because it thinks the tank is full caused by the fuel not clearing from the nozzle freely enough.
I'm not concerned enough but if I was I would be checking the fill pipe to the tank for obstruction or damage.
Don't know if there is a small bore vent pipe on supply to tank, but should be....
Goggs.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM

No idea how to cancell this...

Last edited by goggs; 11-30-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: reported as not receiving and timed out so tried again.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
No idea how to cancell this...
You mean cancel the post? You can't. All you can do is delete it buy editing but then you must type 5 spaces (..... works) or it won't accept the edit.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TomC
Hi guys

i hope someone can help with this problem as I'm completely stumped on this one.

I have a 2001 UK Grand Voyager 2.5CRD and when I try to fill it up with diesel, the diesel pump keeps cutting out before i can even get a liter in the tank. It takes me around 10 mins to put 10 liters in the tank.

It keeps cutting out like there is back pressure in the tank or it is full, which it isn't. I've left the diesel cap of just in case there was pressure in the the tank but this has made no difference. The fuel gauge works perfectly normal and I'm averaging around 34.6 miles to the gallon tickover can be a bit erratic sometimes but not all the times.

Now I'm due trip to scotland but i don't fancy having to fill her up, as its likely to take me an hour just to fill her up

any suggestions welcome.
Typically the a tank vent tube is dented restricting flow. No idea if this applies to a Euro spec van.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Typically the a tank vent tube is dented restricting flow. No idea if this applies to a Euro spec van.
- no reason to believe its any different to your version
- we even 'fill' on the American not UK side of the vehicle
- UK, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc LHS, America etc RHS
- you can generally tell from where the image of the pump is on your fuel level gauge
- ie, image is LHS or RHS of the fuel guage

Old 11-30-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
- no reason to believe its any different to your version
- we even 'fill' on the American not UK side of the vehicle
- UK, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc LHS, America etc RHS
- you can generally tell from where the image of the pump is on your fuel level gauge
- ie, image is LHS or RHS of the fuel guage
Does diesel vs gasoline make any difference?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Does diesel vs gasoline make any difference?
HiYa Raptor 07,

No I was looking at your question which was "No idea if this applies to a Euro spec van" and agreeing with you that "typically the a tank vent tube is dented restricting flow" would be no different on a EuroVan. Someone designed it and at manufacturing level .. .. diesel or petrol would be no different in any country its shipped to. I offered the fact that we in the UK including Northern Ireland usually have our fillers on your Chrysler Voyager the other side the .. .. 'wrong' side for us - correct side for you, and the correct side for the rest of the whole of Europe.

My comment was to say at manufacturing level there's no need to redesign and re-tool a whole factory, just save a fortune and make the UK driver / buyer only walk around to the nearside to fill up - then to the drivers side to drive off. In a combative market it seems like just common financial sense, most of the Euro zone drives on your side, we are the odd~***** who drive on the left

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Yup, just had that little bit of doubt because I've never touched a diesel engine.

Lived in Norfolk (Mundford) and worked in Suffolk (RAF Lakenheath) for 5+ years some years ago. Always had an American spec car which made it tough to pass on those narrow two lane roads. Almost bit it one day because of it. Really didn't have a problem adapting to driving on the "wrong side" of the road. Toughest thing were those round abouts. We eventually got the hang of it and now I wish we had more of them here. They make so much more sense then traffic lights in so many ways. Had even worse problems when we came back to the states. I lost count of how many times I found myself in the wrong lane. POd a bunch of folks but luckily never hit anybody. I still say we had some of our best times while living in England. Leaving was the proverbial double edged sword.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 11-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Yup, just had that little bit of doubt because I've never touched a diesel engine.

Lived in Norfolk (Mundford) and worked in Suffolk (RAF Lakenheath) for 5+ years some years ago. Always had an American spec car which made it tough to pass on those narrow two lane roads. Almost bit it one day because of it. Really didn't have a problem adapting to driving on the "wrong side" of the road. Toughest thing were those roundabouts. We eventually got the hang of it and now I wish we had more of them here. They make so much more sense then traffic lights in so many ways. Had even worse problems when we came back to the states. I lost count of how many times I found myself in the wrong lane. POd a bunch of folks but luckily never hit anybody. I still say we had some of our best times while living in England. Leaving was the proverbial double edged sword.
You would .. .. find it difficult .. ..we had little side valve wheelbarrows for cars at the time, no radio, vacuum operated wipers and definately no radio, window washer, or heater. I bought my first 'yank' in 66 - a - Ford Fairlane a passenger wagon if my memory serves well.

Don't we all wish we took photo's at the time, or even wish we knew the value of a record of our lives !

Last edited by QinteQ; 11-30-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Problems Refueling