Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud owner of 2013 Chrysler Town and Country but need spare key?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Default Proud owner of 2013 Chrysler Town and Country but need spare key?

Me and my wife finally got a great deal on a van for our family, and we're stoked about it. The only downside is that we only have one key. There's the key fob and the backup one inside of the keyfob in case the battery dies. What do I need to do to get another key made? I don't have to have another keyfob, a regular one will do. I know the dealer is an option, but I'd like to go a less expensive route if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

unless u have 2 working keys and fobs dealer is only place to get one programed

Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 AM

OK, as I understand it you only have one fob. A dealer will want about $150 to sell and program just one for you.

The smart and cheap approach is to buy 2 new fobs off ebay and get one programmed at the dealership for $25 (because you have no choice). This gets you 3 programmed fobs for about $125 total. The 3rd fob can always be programmed by the owner if you have two working, programmed fobs. Having only one fob is a nightmare recipe. What in gods name would you do if you were on Vacation and lost it or it was damaged? The inconvenience and cost would be staggering. The emergency metal keys in the fob come free with ebay fobs and they can be cut at a hardware store for $3. Using this approach you can lose one fob and just buy a replacement and program yourself. Having only two fobs puts you at the mercy of the dealer if you lose or break one.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:49 AM

I think they have disabled the ability to program your own key fobs after 2010 or 2011. Even if you have your original two working fobs, you still have to go to the dealer to get another. I'm not sure if a locksmith can do this anymore, but perhaps they can. That would probably be cheaper than the dealer.

The dealer where I bought my 2013 van is charger over $300 to buy and program a fob. I think they make more money off a spare key than they make selling a new car!

Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Default 2013 Key Fob programming?

I've been reading trying to find out about reprogramming a key fob. We only received 1 key when we purchased the van but it is not acting right. I have read that I need 2 fob to program it myself ... is that correct? Please tell me there is a way! The dealerships here in the Savannah GA area want $100 - $150 dollars just to program a fob. That is highway robbery! for a 5-10 minute job ... ! Is there any other way? Please advise.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

not with out 2 keys if it were that simple then I can go get a key cut program it and take your van.,

Old 04-18-2017, 08:38 AM

If it's a 2011 or later, you cannot program your own key fobs. That ended for almost all manufacturers in 2010. I can't believe they still pull this stunt when selling used cars.

If you buy a used car, make it a condition of the deal that you get at least two working ones or walk out the door. That car was almost certainly traded in with two and they are holding one back from you. If you agree to buy one from them, they will probably just hand over the second one that it was traded in with.

This scam is just way too pervasive to allow to continue. If everyone insisted on two working keys when buying used cars, and would walk away if the dealers said they can't do that, the practice would soon stop. A dealer who will pull this stunt is just not trustworthy enough to do business with in my book!

Those key fobs literally cost pennies to make and program. The whole practice is just a scam!

Old 04-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Default ChryslerTech

I have two working FOB's for a 2013. What are the steps to program the spare fob for my daughter?

Old 04-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

2013 Chrysler Town & Country Remote Programming
Do-It-Yourself programming procedure is not available for this vehicle. This vehicle requires a diagnostic equipment to be connected to the vehicle to program the remote. You will need to find a local automotive locksmith or a dealer to program this remote.