Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for UK owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Default Question for UK owners.

Has anybody noticed or can you tell me why the Diesel GV's are more expensive to insure than the 3.3 or 3.8 petrol versions.

I've been looking at replacements for when my old 3.3 finally dies and was surprised at some of the insurance quotes I received. Around £100 less on a 3.8 and about £120 on a 3.3 compared to a similar spec and year 2.8CDR. I even found a left hand drive 3.8 All wheel drive which was still £70 cheaper to insure than the Diesel. Didn't really matter on the engine size, there was only about a £20 difference between the 2.5 and 2.8 Diesels. Furthermore some insurance companies, my own included do not even cover the Diesel's.

Same goes for the Jeep Grand Cherokee's. I looked at a couple and found the same thing, however, it can't be performance because they're basically the same. And with the Jeep, I found a 4.7 Hi-output which is way faster than the Diesel version and it was still £50 cheaper. What gives? anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 AM

It's just another way to steal your money , My CRD is full cover insure 250£ and my old NS 3,8 cost me 430£ so this is the other way around

Last edited by dieselvoyager; 02-22-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: ad extra
Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 PM

My 2 car policy is up for renewal soon so I started shopping around.
Only yesterday I got a quote from Admiral Insurance for a 2 car policy.
My 2.8 CRD Voyager was quoted at £527.52
My BMW 630i was quoted at £375.41
A massive £902.93

To renew my policy with Sheilas Wheels it'll cost:
£227.92 for my 2.8 CRD
£261.00 for my BMW 630i
Totaling £488.92

Exactly the same FC cover.
Needless to say I'll be staying with Sheilas Wheels.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 AM

I'll have to take a look. Just got a quote on my old 3.3 and last year it was £219 comp, there was little difference between that and third party. This year however, just gotten a quote on a 99 3.3 basically the same van and best so far is £398 third party F&T. Crazy.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Default Insurance rip off

Also be aware....I used the online comparison sites.....I also found the further away you put the renewal date the cheaper it was....and I'm talking the best part of £200.....all you need to do is leave everything the same, just chance the starting date on the calendar and get the updated quote....optimal price verses time ahead of buying was around 14-16 days....after that it only went down by a few pounds a day or less

Old 07-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Please, Diesel Voyager tell us what company charges only £250 for a diesel Voyager, I'm paying £760 for my CRD at Direct Line, and other companies I call want even more!
What the hells' going on???
Leedsman.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Companies aren't on comparison sites for a reason, and a lot of the time, it's because they aren't as competitive as those that are.
I've no doubt they probably get a better name about them, but I've now had 3 write off claims over the past 8 years, and never had any issues(going with one of the top 3 comparison site lowest quotes).
Last Voyager was £360 or £380 in 2016, 4 months after a write off claim. The 2017 price was under £300.
We even get different prices from the same insurer on different comparison sites. No matter who we go with, the underwriter always seems to be Covea.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 AM

I've just had a quote for my '06 diesel voyager (2.8ltr) from Sheila's Wheels, and it was over £1500 for normal comp cover with nine years no claim discount!!! On top of that, multiple exesses and very low miles per year.
So.......Once again, what the hell is going on???
Leedsman.
p.s. Would be grateful if someone could tell me a genuinely reasonable insurance co. for diesel G.Vs.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 AM

IMHO, An American branded vehicle and with a NON American motor. Along with Chrysler/Dodge pulling out of your market, certain replacement parts(motor related) would be extremely expensive to acquire in case of an accident claim, thus the much higher premium.
What you bemoan about is similar to my long past insurance situation that I had. Bought an 89 mustang with NA 4 cyl.motor and auto trans, Insurance cost was the SAME as the 5.0(V8) muscle version!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Leedsman, have you tried the comparison sites?
If you don't like them to have all your information, put in some false details. Keep your postcode the same, but use a house number that doesn't exist. Put a false name, email and phone number in, so they can't contact you. Even take a reg plate from ebay the same age/spec as yours. Keep everything else the same, see the results, then contact the firms direct. It'll be an extra £20-£30 as you'll do it over the phone rather than all online.
Also, try having just the compulsory excess. Believe it or not, ours goes up if we don't.
This year I'm going to have to call round, due to the complexity of our cover. 2 write offs in 3 years, but being honest putting the details in confuses matters. I declare a claim as my wife wrote off my car, she declares an accident. Then I declare an accident driving her car, and she's declaring a claim. So we're declaring something for both accidents twice.
I'm going to try NFU Mutual over the next couple of days, not only because of their current TV advertising campaign, but because I've heard good things about them over the past few years.

Quick Reply: Question for UK owners.