Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fan electrical issue, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 03:43 PM
Default Radiator fan electrical issue, please help

Hello everyone, I am now officially fully stumped.
I made this as detailed as possible but it's a quick read and I really need suggestions. A

A few years ago our 2010 4.0 Limited Town and Country overheated while my wife was at a light and not paying attention and the engine seized up and there was no saving it, but we love the van and purchased a new motor (installed new thermostat as well) It turns out that the radiator fan quit working so along with the new motor we also purchased a new radiator fan and attributed the issue to The fan. The van worked fine for a couple of weeks but then the fan went out again. Upon disconnecting the radiator fan from the wiring harness pigtail I noticed that the connector was fried and I assumed that it had been arcing. I replaced the connector with a new one and was able to get another radiator fan under warranty. The radiator fan seems to have a mind of its own sometimes it will turn on and the vehicle will run just fine with no issues at all and then out of nowhere will be at a light and notice that the temperature is going up and the radiator fan will not turn on, it is very sporadic.

Then all of a sudden our alarm grew a mind of its own as well and when the vehicle is locked the alarm sporadically goes off. I replaced the batteries in the key fobs and cleaned off the hood actuator switch.

Now there is also a parasitic draw, that kills the battery within 24 hours of the van is left to sit.

After some research, I REPLACED the TIPM

*Side note: ​Years ago I replaced the fog lights with LEDs and when I replaced them I noticed that they continuously blink extremely faintly even when the van is turned off (you can barely see it even in the middle of the night unless you're about 3ft from them) but at the time there were no issues with the van, and it didn't drain the battery so I didn't mind it.
​​​​​
I traced the wires from the radiator fan and realized that they are integrated into the same wiring harness as the headlights and the horn, so I came to the conclusion that there had to most definitely be a cut in the wiring harness and it was shorting out somewhere so I decided to replace the wiring harness except it has been discontinued and I cannot find it anywhere online or dealerships. So I decided to remove all of the protective covering and electrical tape on all wires from the radiator fan connector all the way to the TIPM connector, however there is no break in the wires anywhere. I also did a resistance test on all wires from the TIPM connector to the radiator fan relay connector, and radiator fan connectors, and all were below 0.3 OHMS.

I HAVE NOT replaced the radiator fan relay yet, but can it really be a coincidence that the things that are failing are all in the same wiring harness?

What else could the radiator electrical issue be? What could be causing the alarm to randomly go off and such a crazy parasitic draw?