Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear crankshaft oilseal and clutch! apart from that looks like a great buy!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Default rear crankshaft oilseal and clutch! apart from that looks like a great buy!!

[sm=helpout.gif]hi to all at Chrysler Forum! just bought uk 02 voyager 2.5 crd se 81000miles 2 weeks ago, oil leak discovered. been told it is rear crank oilseal. also advised to replace clutch as it wouldn't be much if any extra in labour and clutch at age where it makes sense to have it replaced i've been told. i've bought seal and 2 washers from chrysler for £75. quoted £300 inc. vat for clutch kit. anyone know of any reliable aftermarket clutchkits at reasonable prices? iv'e come across adk,ada,ashika & luk so far, any good?? Can't afford dealer/ big garage repair. My mechanic said he can do it, but as he's never done seal n clutch on voyager before, i am trying to find out if he can expect any nasty surprises or is quite straight forward for any mechanic worth his weight in snap-on tools, any advise, tips,warnings would be much appreciated from all knowledgable n experienced people. thanks in advance!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Default RE: rear crankshaft oilseal and clutch! apart from that looks like a great buy!!

Hi
yes covered here before https://www.chryslerforum.com/m_23646/tm.htm

Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Default RE: rear crankshaft oilseal and clutch! apart from that looks like a great buy!!

Just a suggestion to the mods - would it be possible to create a FAQ section for the common faults and fix it to the top of the T&C section - might save answering the same questions more than once as I'm sure some of the questions I've asked must have been answered previously.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 AM

thanx for pointin' me in the right direction Merlin. i actually read that post earlier duh! i've heard or read somewhere(chrysler fsm cd offa ebay), that you need special tools only used by chryslermechs for inserting rear oilseal. also told by 1 garage they could'nt do clutch as it requires this "special tool" is this another chrysler money maker or will my mechanic be doing a lot of head scratching. actd, that would be a good idea for newbies like me who sometimes dont know right terms to use in search box.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Hi
No your mechanic will do it easy

Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 AM

i hope so merlin, when mechanic can fit me in! he's been bedridden with flu n now working through his backlog before he can sort me out. in the meantime am i ok driving around locally, as long as i keep an eye on the oil level or is it not advisable?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Angry update, mechanic has messed it up!!

Right! finally got car into garage last sunday, got it back monday afternoon thinking at last i can finally enjoy my new purchase, WRONG!! for starters, mechanic said he couldn't fit bigger O ring as he couldn't find old one to replace ??!!WTF! still seems to be leaking even if it is a lot less, but mechanic reckons its only old leaking oil collected on splashshield (why he didn't clean it up, god only knows, even an amateur d.i.y.er would've cleaned it up wouldn't they?! ) Also clutch is not right after replacement. vibrations/buzz through pedal soon as you depress it. engine shudders, as you pass biting point on way up and gear engages. severity depends on how much throttle you give it, less rpm more shudder/shaking. he tried fobbing me off with excuse about new clutch plate/disc bedding in, then changed tune to possible defect in spring fingers, either way he has said he will put it right if clutch didn't smooth itself out. he's also broke or knocked out of sync the drivers power mirror, it doesn't know when to stop when unfolding/folding and just to add insult to injury driver window was stuck in down position, when i picked car up,it was playing up few days before, so can't really blame him for that, good job the weather is good here in the uk!! I am taking it back to him tomorrow, need pointers as to possible reasons and solutions to problems namely where exactly does the larger O ring go and where has he gone wrong with clutch, it was fine previously, only reason for replacing was while gearbox was out, it was common sense with 80000 miles on clutch! i even gave him a copy of thread of milesy boys about rear main seal with merlin giving pointers to how it should be done and also print outs from fsm cd bought off ebay regarding gearbox, clutch removal and installation. hoping/praying its just a minor adjustment for the clutch but at least while he opens it up again , he will have a chance to replace the other O ring. please merlin help me end this nightmare.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM

ok to replace the big O ring (well all 3) he should have pulled the rear bearing off. When you remove the back plate (4 bolts) to get at the rear seal you put 2 bolts in the rear housing and (evenly) wind them in to pull off the rear housing. You can then do all 3 off the vehicle. NOTE: I did already say this in the other post.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Thumbs up

thanx for taking the time to reply merlin. yeah, i did give him a print out of your reply to milesy boy, there's nothing i can do if he was too arrogant to take someone else's advice first time around. he was very confident and blahzay beforehand, considering he had never done any major work on a voyager previous to mine. i think he'll be a bit more open to suggestions this time around, I'll make sure of that! I don't think he pulled out crank housing so therefore couldn't see 2nd O ring, at least engine hasn't locked up so he's got that bit right(i hope). will he be able to replace this 2nd time around without damaging the newly fitted seal or will he have to replace that as well? also any pointers on the clutch, merlin. once again thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 AM

Hi
I would get another rear seal just to be sure.
As for the clutch would suspect faulty clutch as I have never had any problems.
As for the mirror it will need a new one.
As for the window suspect new regulator.

Quick Reply: rear crankshaft oilseal and clutch! apart from that looks like a great buy!!