Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shocks - keep new or old?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 AM
Default Rear shocks - keep new or old?

2005 T&C — I was doing my front shocks since they were definitely softening up, so I figured I should change the rears while I was at it, and Monroe was having a rebate anyway. Stupid me, I didn't actually look under my vehicle before ordering... New ones arrive and I go to replace them, then see that the rears are the super heavy duty ones, that I think are called "Nivomat". They are Sachs, and appear to be about $250 each online. The Monroes I got are wimpy and cheap compared to these, and the original stout ones seem to still be good, very stiff (in fact I can't compress by hand).

I installed the replacements because I figured I already had the parts and should just do it, now I am second guessing myself. So the question is: should I put the originals back in and try to return the new ones? I haven't tried loading the van up heavy with the new ones yet to see if I can notice a difference. Hoping to hear from others who have confronted this and what their thoughts are. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 PM

I have an 04 with the nivomats, 183K miles and going strong with them! Put them back on, you will DEFINITELY notice a BIG difference at even a half load in the rear! To go cheaper replacements that can take any load, you with need a load leveler type shock(they have a coil spring mounted on them) Monroe makes them. It will be ALMOST as good as the nivomat's. There rear leaf springs are a little softer rating for nivomat equipped vans, hence regular rear shocks will allow more rear squatting when loaded.

Last edited by REBEL59; 09-26-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the reply rebel59, I think you are definitely right here... only rode on these for a couple days and while I didn't notice a difference in feel, I'm pretty sure the back end must have bottomed out on the bumper with these new shocks.

Here is a picture of the driver side rear bumper, taken a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it looked like this when I was under there swapping out the struts:

I just looked now and here is that same bumper (sorry, terrible picture but it's raining here and phone camera wasn't cooperating):

It has definitely made contact and gotten a beating. Putting the original struts back in!

Old 09-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Default Bumpers or Jounce.

Jounce rebound rubbers. Comes with 8mm or 10mm threaded stud. Must be hand tightened on as bolt head is right down bottom and rubber to remove if socket required. I had to take my old ones off with Stilsons..See picture of In-process of removal..

Last edited by goggs; 09-28-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Not loading pictures...New system kapuut...
Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM

goggs, yes I know what that is (M8 x 1mm thread, btw), I already tried to replace the other one, that didn't go so well... That other side bumper was already gone, as in, foam completely absent and only the mounting base was left attached to the van. I used a wheel bearing nut socket from another vehicle to get it off because it looked like the holes would coincidentally line up:

So that was great... until the bolt sheared off inside the frame!

Now what do I do? I've extracted bolts before, but at least in places where you have a straight line of access. Here the rear axle is in the way, so I can't get a drill on it. Any suggestions for how to extract that one would be appreciated (sorry for bad picture, my camera stabilizer has gone kaput).

Old 10-04-2018, 09:12 AM

And also, I did swap my original shocks back in, and RockAuto won't take a return on the other shocks because they were installed on the vehicle. Anybody want to buy some brand new Monroe 37123 shocks from me? Just PM

Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 AM

i am kinda goin thru this same deal... but for me... we have towed a 2000 lb camper for years and lately the van has begun to sit lower in rear... factory tow with the nivomat shocks and 182000 on van... on our last trip out with camper it actually bottomed out for the first time... friend of mine says its not the shocks but worn leafs... any thoughts on this from u guys ? if so, what leafs would be advisable for replacements ? appears to be about 2 inches lower than normal...thanks

Old 10-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by woodthumb
i am kinda goin thru this same deal... but for me... we have towed a 2000 lb camper for years and lately the van has begun to sit lower in rear... factory tow with the nivomat shocks and 182000 on van... on our last trip out with camper it actually bottomed out for the first time... friend of mine says its not the shocks but worn leafs... any thoughts on this from u guys ? if so, what leafs would be advisable for replacements ? appears to be about 2 inches lower than normal...thanks
I replied to your thread REAR SHOCKS and recapping it, basically agree with your friend there. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of choices out there. BUT the spring rate of the standard rear springs is higher than the heavy duty(Nivomat) rear leaf springs. Sorry but you'll also notice a firmer rear ride when unloaded, and also to complete the next question...No I don't have part numbers or places to recommend buying new springs....Good Luck! BUT KEEP THE NIVOMATS

Old 10-07-2018, 06:00 PM

talked to a suspension expert saturday at a large tire center here... he specializes in big trucks and rigs and is a so called expert on the nivomat... he has convinced me to replace them as they hold most of the load on this van... springs are not doubt weakened too he says but he would lay odds the shocks at 182000 are shot... so i ordered 2 new and will let all know how it goes soon... pricey but gotta do it as the van has bottomed out several times lately under load... i was also surprised to see it has only a single leaf spring

Old 10-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by woodthumb
talked to a suspension expert saturday at a large tire center here... he specializes in big trucks and rigs and is a so called expert on the nivomat... he has convinced me to replace them as they hold most of the load on this van... springs are not doubt weakened too he says but he would lay odds the shocks at 182000 are shot... so i ordered 2 new and will let all know how it goes soon... pricey but gotta do it as the van has bottomed out several times lately under load... i was also surprised to see it has only a single leaf spring
For what it's worth, I'm at 217k miles with my van and as far as I can tell, the rear shocks are original. I think they are must still be doing great, because about 3-4 months ago I hauled 1700 lbs of wood in that thing and it didn't bottom out. I'm kicking myself for even trying to replace them, I just didn't realize they were the heavy duty ones and I figured I'd replace all 4 if I was doing the front ones.

I'm curious if there's any kind of standardized test that can be performed by the home mechanic to see if they're still good. For normal shocks, I'm familiar with the bounce test (bounce a corner of the car and count how many oscillations you get before it stops, should be less than 2 for most vehicles).

Quick Reply: Rear shocks - keep new or old?