Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Heater Core on 2005 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Default Remove Heater Core on 2005 T&C

Hi, sorry if this was already here but I searched for a while and did not see anything. I'm in the process of removing the heater core on a 2005 T&C. The Haynes manual says to remove the boot around the steering column to make room to get the heater core out. I have everything apart but the actual boot around the steering column was not in the way, the larger part of the steering column near the floor is in the way.

I have the heater core out until it hits this part of the column. Anyone done this before? I feel like I either need to start removing part of the steering column or start taking apart the dash at this point.

Thanks,

Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

FRONT HEATER CORE
WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - WARNINGS) and (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT - CAUTIONS). Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.

Remove the silencer boot fasteners located around the base of the lower steering shaft from the dash panel so that it may be pushed aside.
Remove the brake lamp switch from its mounting bracket (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - REMOVAL).
Disconnect the power brake booster input rod (push rod) from the pin on the brake pedal arm (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ABS/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/POWER BRAKE BOOSTER - REMOVAL).
If equipped with power adjustable pedals, remove the adjustable pedal assembly (Refer to 5 - BRAKES/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/ADJUSTABLE PEDALS - REMOVAL).
NOTE: Take the proper precautions to protect the carpeting below the heater core from spilled engine coolant and have absorbent toweling readily available to clean up any spills.

Remove the heater core tubes (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - FRONT/HEATER CORE - HEATER CORE TUBES - REMOVAL).
Remove the two screws that secure the heater core mounting plate to the HVAC air distribution housing.
If NOT equipped with power adjustable pedals, pull the accelerator pedal upward (Accelerator Pedal) and push the brake pedal downward (Brake Pedal) for clearance to remove the heater core from the air distribution housing.
Remove the heater core by carefully pulling it straight out of the side of the air distribution housing.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks for replying. I am probably missing something (first time doing this job) but this sounds like what is in the Haynes manual and does not seem to make sense. I am going to try and post an image showing that the silencer boot has been pushed down below a round cylinder that is part of the steering column. The heater core is running into the cylinder. If I could get it past the steering column then I might need to worry about the brake booster and lamp switch.

Attached Thumbnails Remove Heater Core on 2005 T&C-1221092219_small.jpg   Remove Heater Core on 2005 T&C-1221092219a_small.jpg  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Remove the brake lamp switch from its mounting bracket (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - REMOVAL).
Disconnect the power brake booster input rod (push rod) from the pin on the brake pedal arm (Refer to 5 - BRAKES - ABS/HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL/POWER BRAKE BOOSTER - REMOVAL).

Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Default Easier Heater Core Removal Early 2005 Town & Country

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable & allow at least 2 minutes for air bag capacitor to discharge
2. remove driver knee panel - two screws at bottom then pull straight out. Note how the tabs engage on the right end.
3. remove the 4 bolts for the knee air bag unit. This simple step makes it much easier to see what you are doing without standing on your head. If you don't like it hanging by its wires, remove the lower corner panel, unplug the connector, and pull it off.
4. remove the brake light switch by turning it to the left, but do not disturb the little lever on the front end of it.
5. remove the spring-clip holding the brake shaft above the brake pedal and pull the shaft off the peg. If you are careful, you can reuse the clip, but if you bend it much, you should replace it.
6. mark the relation of the upper steering shaft to the lower end, and remove the pin and bolt that connects them. Push down on the lower shaft to disengage it, and lay it out of the way.
7. use a #20 torx bit to remove the screw holding the heater pipes to the core, and push them back. I lay a small plastic sheet underneath and let it drain into a small pan. Towels don't catch everything.
8. remove the (2) 7mm screws holding the core and pull it out past the accelerator pedal, steering shaft, and brake pedal.
9. Remove the O-Rings from the heater tubes and clean the ends of the tubes. Use NEW blue O-Rings to re-assemble the heater tubes to the new core.
10. Test the core by running the engine up to operating temperature before putting everything back together. If the O-Rings do not seal properly or the replacement core is bad, there will be faint wisps of vapor fogging the windshield.