Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

resetting Uconnect

Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Default resetting Uconnect

Can someone tell me how or where to find the information to reset/reboot the unconnect for a 2006 Town & Country with Nav and 6 disk DVD/CD changer? The manual only lists how to set it up not to how to reboot.

The DVD/CD player lost sound and I think it is related since now (after a week of trouble shooting)the wife tells me the Uconnect has not worked about the same amount of time the sound has been lost.

The video for the back monitor used to play the DVD video only during this problem until I unplugged and replugged all the connections into the DVD player making sure they were secure. Now I have a whitish screen with a music symbol, timer, play symbol and some other stuff at the top of the screen. The remote will not control the DVD player and the batteries are good.

I unhooked the battery for about an hour and that didn't change anything except the loss of programmed radio stations.

I would appriciate some guidance. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Default RE: resetting Uconnect

Hello,
In your previous post I asked you if you had u-connect. The reason I ask is because the Uconnect is wired between the radio and DVD changer. It has a multiplexor type thing intergraded with it. I know this because I am trying to ad factory uconnect to my 05 T&C. I have studied the wiring diagrams. I would check all connections at the radio, at the DVD changer and at the Uconnect module. Maybe even unplug and plug all of them back in. I believe the module is under the DVD chager in the console near the floor. Maybe when changing out changers, some of the harneses got pulled or nicked by those sharp edges? Perhaps your Uconnect module has gone out. I hope you are under warranty because those modules can be from $350 to $500 depending on options and what vehicle they are in.

Since you say the video is messed up now.. it may still be in the changer but I don't know how that would affect the Uconnect.
I think by unpluging the battery for an hour would reset the uconnect and everything else in the car. The fact that you unplugged and replugged and have more/different problems suggests something w/ wiring.

I am trying to find troubleshooting for the Uconnect online and in my CD manual but have not found it yet. It is out there though.. I have read it before. They may be in the form of TSB's

Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the assistance. I'm pretty sure the uconnect has something to do with the problem. I've tested a few things but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the Uconnect. I checked all the fuses I could but haven't yet unplugged the wires from the back of the rearview mirror looking for power. I get no powerlight for the uconnect OR the auto darkening mirror.

Checking the wires between the RB1 radio and DVD player are easy. To find out where they go from there will require major disassembly from what I can see.

The DVD plays in the back screen now again. My wife got that going. Since she and the kids use the van 99.99% of the timeit I may just have pushed the wrong button or something. Still no volume on anything except the radio. I just remembered I should check the Navigation voice to see if it still talks.

I found some crazy "hard" reboot inforegarding the Uconnect for another Chrysler car on some other website. It dealt with opening/shutting doors, pushing buttons and turning power on/off. I tried it but it didn't change anything.

Warranty???? That went out 3,000 miles ago at 36,000. It was amazing how the dealer wanted $29 for a inspection during the warranty but would perform it for free the mile it was out of warranty.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 PM

I have installed many Uconnects on vehicles that didnt have them. You cant complete the install correctly, unless you have a Chrysler scan tool, and hooked up directly to their website, it has to do with the programming if I remember correctly.

Secondly with Uconnect not working, what are the last eight of you VIN, I will check for TSBs, I can access the website anytime.

They always have new updates for the radios, especialy the MyGig ones

Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 PM

Lachness,
You should be able to remove the lower console cover at the floor to access the uconnect module and wiring.Should be about 6 screws or so.Once that cover is off, you should be able to see the wire harnesses coming from radio/dvd changer down to UC module. All those frame members are sharp like you say behind the radio. If you have not bought one yet, you should get a Chrysler service manual CD on ebay.. it will show you how to remove the UC module, were the harnesses are etc. Well worth the money. You will see there how the UC module is intergrated between the Radio and DVD changer in the wiring diagrams.

Also.. you say the auto dim does not work either.... that sounds srange because I think it is on a different circuit. Maybe some body type power module has gone out. I can make no promises but if I get a chance, I will take a look at the wiring diagrams to see where the auto dim portion and UC mirror portion get their power.. I think the UC portion get's its power from the UC module. It'o the wifes bday tomorrow and I have to get ready for a business trip Monday. It might not be until early next week before I can look at it. It takes quite some time to study these wiring diagrams... which is why I say you should get the manual.

One more note.. do you get the DVD sounds w/ the headphones?

Rob,
Dealer installed UC or Factory installed UC?? Yes I am aware I will need to have the dealer tell the Computer the UC is there if I ever get it going. I have moparsupercenter checking into a system for me... I ahve just he mirror for now. They make many factory installed type systems for the CAN bus vehicles but nothing for the PCI bused systems. I don't see whjy they just can get me the modle for the car, wiring harneses between the radio and DVD changer and harness to mirror. Not sure if any of the harnesses are available separatly.. sometimes they are intergrated w/ other harnesses and cost big bucks. If you have installed the factory versions like you say, maybe you can give me some direction for the 05 town and country limited w/ nav radio RB1 and 6 dvd changer (IR type).
Thanks
Fixit

Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM

Lachness.. if you give me your email, I can send you some info. Maybe in a Private message? I can't seem to post info from the manual here, it is to much info.

Also.. do the auto headlights work as well?

It appears that darn hands free module interfaces w/ mirror power/dim as well. Can't tell if UC gets power from mirror or mirror gets power from UC. Needs to be studied a little more.
Fixit

Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 AM

Any new news here?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:02 PM

I want to thank you for your help. I have been out of town for several weeks on business. The wife and kids have been roughing it with an old but reliable portable DVD player in the van.

I really believe the Uconnect has something to do with no sound for the DVD movies. The uconnect appears dead AND so does the rearview mirror autodarken. There seems to be no power??

I literally just got my service CD a few hours ago and I quickly looked it over finding nothing on the uconnect. I start looking at the wiring diagrams soon.

I'll try and check to see if I am getting power up to the mirror unit. If the DVD would work by just disconnecting the unconnect unit then that would be fine.

I'll let you know what I find. Again thanks for the help.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 PM

The manauls are kind of funny, some call it Uconnect, some call it Hands free and some call it telematics. YOu need to serach on all these key words. I beleive "Hands Free" is what they call it in the TC manual.

I agree after looking at the wiring diagrams . The UC is wired right between the DVD changer and radio. Kepp us posted

Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM

My U-connect stopped working as well, and the lights are dark on the mirror. Could it be a fuse? What should I be looking for here!

Also, I've been waiting since January for a sensor for my tire, and apparently over 350 have been backordered. Does anyone know about this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: resetting Uconnect