Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Rough Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Default Rough Starting

Voyager 2007 2.8CRD.
Quite reluctant to start from cold and needs the starter kept turning longer than I would expect. It then runs quite rough and lumpy initially producing white smoke. Once it has warmed up, it goes perfectly and when it is warm, starts instantly.

Garage said it might be EGR related but my understanding is that an EGR problem would manifest itself with poor running all the time?

There are no OBD fault codes present

Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 AM

same here. My 2.5 CRD doesnt start at all at the moment
I suspected the glow plugs and replaced all 4 of them..
Now it seems my new plugs are also still not working so my problem is probably the Glow Plug Relay which is defective.
In very cold weather the (all) glow plugs MUST work well otherwise car starts badly or not at all.
The white smoke is probably due to not optimal diesel burning which corrects as soon as the engine is somewhat warmed up

Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 AM

Hi there,

Just to add a slightly different opinion, I'd say that in cold weather (Talking about the UK cold weather so -4 -5 so not terrible) you can get away with all but one of the glow plugs from working. Mine ran like that for a while before I changed all of the plugs a while back and it started each time, just sometimes a bit of a chug before firing fully.

What temperatures are you referring to Vmaxxer? As I'd still expect the engine to manage to start even with defective glow plugs so I'm wondering if there is something else at fault with yours (Have you tested the output to the glow plug cables at start up. Glow plugs receive power for longer than the plug light on the dash is illuminated I've found on various tests).

I also get a bit of white smoke at start, again clears pretty quickly and I see no ill effects afterwards.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:04 PM

Car is starting pretty good with new GLD335 battery (95AH 830EN) during ~0 celsius.
But still I have to turn the engine for 4-6 seconds before it fires.
It does not matter at all if I glow 1, 5 or 30 seconds... Leading me to the suspicion there's not much glowing going on :/
So I am going to test output to my glowplugs tomorrow, I still think its the relay...

Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
What temperatures are you referring to Vmaxxer? As I'd still expect the engine to manage to start even with defective glow plugs so I'm wondering if there is something else at fault with yours (Have you tested the output to the glow plug cables at start up.
Today the GV didn't start at all (again)
New battery, new glowplugs... but -10 Celsius? no go...
The mechanic that helped me tested the output to the glowplugs and he said they got power enough..
He suspects the fuel pressure is too low.. he got the engine running by some brakecleaner in the airfilter and heating up the enginehead with a blowtorch hehehe

Now to find out how I can test fuel pressure and what to do about it ..

Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM

Keep us informed m8, I get slow/rough start regularly in the cold, it's not let me down yet though as a bit of help on the accelerator and it starts but I've suspected similar to low fuel pressure or bad injectors just haven't done anything about it.
(I changed the fuel filter just in case, it was an easy swap on mine (Rear, under the fuel tank) but no difference).