Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Default Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.

Yes just got a message from Santa asking what's the best dash cam so what's the updates so far...

Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 AM

Indisputable, read on the subject 8 hours a day for a year, and you will conclude the £50 Mobius more here. Main site here. The Wedge is a recent other contender. The dashcam forum is here.

The Mobius and the Wedge use the same processor and CMOS an alternative to techmoan is here with all the usual dashcams listed - here's there take on the Mobius, including all 16 firmware flash's, the manual, the windows software you can get from techmoan, phone & GPS software etc. For myself I wanted discreet, as in leave in the car unseen so a screen [bulk size] would be a hindrance, others of course have differing needs & wants. Remember however that the set up angle / subject / scene in your car will be unknown till you take it in and plug it into the puter, and then you need to position it back in the car exactly right .. .. ham fisted guesswork ! Night vision at this price point is what it is, poor, and that's what you would expect. Better night vision needs a different CMOS image sensor such as the Sony Exmor and that's going to add an extra £100 to the retail price of any dashcam its used in.

Best of luck Goggsie,

Add the comparison of the Mobius & Wedge here Want to make your own different comparisons - here

Last edited by QinteQ; 11-10-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Add the comparison
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Some great links there. I might just get one of those ones in the video. 1080 res looks really good

Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 AM

The Mobius is an excellent dash-cam. I've been using mine for about 9 months without any problems and it's great value for money. The only negative point about the Mobius is it doesn't have a screen so you can't replay events while in the car. However, the favourite mounting place is between the rear view mirror and the windscreen so you wouldnt be able to view the screen anyway. Unfortunately the Voyager's wipers don't sweep that area of the windscreen so if you choose to mount a camera there, expect to see crap footage when it's raining.
The dashcam forum that QinteQ linked to is full of useful information and good example footage (look out for my contributions under the user name of Error7) but I highly recommend watching some of the reviews on this site Techmoan - Guide to Dashcams

This is an example of footage recorded by my Mobius a few weeks ago
He was one lucky rider.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Indisputable, read on the subject 8 hours a day for a year, and you will conclude the £50 Mobius more here.
Sorry QinteQ, I didn't realise you'd also linked to Techmoan's site.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
Sorry QinteQ, I didn't realise you'd also linked to Techmoan's site.
- no prob Alan. we are both already Mobius users and disciples so we are on the same page anyway
- one word of warning to others, download & view from Techmoans site, not the scraped youtube step-down-quality version

Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 AM

Yes there does seem to be a good following for the Mobius but wondering if Techmoan is getting something out of it all. I was firstly looking on Flee-bay at these sucker on window models, some even have night vision and small 2 inch screen on back. I have however got a sucker pad stuck on my dash for my Sat Nav so prefer that to the screen version. But prices, £12 up to £28 sure isn't much to pay while shops are asking twice or three times that amount. Still undecided and don't know if they all work as good as the next.
Maybe try You Tube for peoples film and what they are using.
AlanC's vids are all you need regarding quality so the extra maybe the night vision and screen.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Any better night vision needs than Alan's camera, and you immediately jump from £50 to the £150 arena. Emergency service digital evidence type CMOS and processing will take you to the £1500 a shot. At our level its about cost benefit analysis as a tool to defend again CFC gangs - the two I've listed will do the job at the right quality outcomes and price point for CFC.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Goggsy, don't be tempted by the cheapo cameras on ebay, even if they claim to be HD or 1080p. The Mobius is THE best quality you will get for the money, believe me, I've learnt from experience. And don't be fooled by the claims of IR night time illumination. It's nothing more than white LED's stuck on the front that just reflect back off the windscreen and white out the lens.

Here is a good example of what I mean for only £8.64 2.5" 270°LCD HD DVR Car Camera 6LED IR Traffic Digital Video Recorder H3C | eBay

Here's another for £15.74 2.0" HD 340 Degree Car Vehicle Lens Dashboard Camera Video Recorder DVR CAM UK | eBay
I actually bought one of these a few months ago just for a laugh and when I complained about the poor quality to the supplier he gave me £6.00 back.

Expect to pay £60.00 plus for anything decent with a screen or about £45 for a Mobius. And if you're buying from a UK supplier then expect to pay quite a bit more.

There's plenty of free advice here or on the DashCam Talk forum if you want it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I prefer to buy direct from reputable suppliers in China but you need to allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.

Last edited by AlanC; 11-09-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Yes been looking at some of Techmoans vids on You Tube, right enough different types tested. This Mini 0803 tested by him looks good but over me at £68+. I'll continue looking at his vids for a screen model.

Quick Reply: Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.