Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An scary engine cutting out failure ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:44 AM
Angry An scary engine cutting out failure ..

Last week I was accelerating to get on the highway during the dark early morning traffic jam when the Chrysler completely cut out
I barely managed to get the car to the very narrow shoulder of the highway barely avoiding collisions with large trucks... I jumped out the car and got myself to safety behind the rail where I called 112. Several large trucks barely missed my car, I don't scare easy bit this was frikkin scary..
Traffic control quickly shut down the right lane of the highway to get me off that very dangerous place.. causing a huge traffic jam..

After i got towed away by emergency services to a safe parking spot I tried starting and .. vrooom.. no problem.. but as soon as I accelerate hard the engine cuts out again.
So probably another liftpump crack problem causing fuel starvation... a very dangerous problem with these diesels!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:11 AM

Low fuel rail pressure I guess !

Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 AM

A gas model and you will burst out in flames

How dos it cold start , dos it smoke and rough idle just after start ?

When did you change the fuel filter ?

Old 03-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Starting is OK since my injectors where repaired.. and rough idling and plume of smoke after starting is pretty normal for diesels in this cold .

I did some reading on this problem and I see there are many, many CRD voyagers with exactly the same problem, many of them with an air leak (crack) in the lift pump housing. My mechanic will look at it next week, I'll report his findings here.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Can be as simple as a Boost sensor like what happened to my complete cut out/power cut on booting it.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:35 AM

But your model is with lift pump near the tank and dos not normal crack , normal the problem is the 2.8 with filter housing in engine bay do crack and no lift pump. ( is usual just a problem under start ) a block diesel filter on this model is common it need to be change together with oil service 20000km.

Please report back the error code .

Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Hi Vmaxxer, yeah it's a scary one m8, as you've probably spotted I've had this happen in cold weather recently, so know how nasty it is.
I've put quite a few posts (on the .co.uk) and have just finished a video that contains all the steps I've done and solved it on mine.
The main issue is because all of the diesel codes aren't mapped into the ECU getting fault codes out are just a stab in the right direction rather than categorical fault finding (Generic code for low fuel pressure, which could be anything). So perhaps this will help or give you some hints on what to look at.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/chrysler-grand-2-17356742

(Mine has the electric lift pump beside fuel tank also, which again isn't common it appears!)

Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Very nice video Andy!
For my cutting out problem I brought my Voyager to my local mechanic and still waiting to get it back..
I'll report back how its turning out.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:20 PM

Finally got my Voyager back, my mechanic had the flu for a week..
But the problem is totally solved!
The mechanic high pressure cleaned the fuel lines, looked for leaks and cracks (didn't find any) and replaced the fuel filter (+ O ring)
I tested the car thoroughly but it doesn't stall any more.
Happy.

But..
I happened to find a very good deal on a T5 VW transporter 2.5 which I could not resist.. so I fear the Chrysler has to find a new boss..

My new wheels..

Old 03-15-2018, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the reply back Vmaxxer, interesting so really just a fuel line clean out, and a new fuel filter?
My guess again is the fuel filter is the thing that solved it, clogged up with rubbish/gunky diesel. Very similar to other reports during cold weather.

I'm liking the new motor, but will be sad to see you leaving the GV club!

Quick Reply: An scary engine cutting out failure ..