Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Shudder at initial acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Default Shudder at initial acceleration

2012 Town & Country. We're getting a slight shudder at initial acceleration and it seems like it has no bias as to which gear it's in or is shifting into. It has just under 50k miles on it and we just bought it. The dealership we bought it from had no service records so maybe it just needs a trans flush or a tune up. It is still under the 100k mile drive train warranty but we have to pay a diagnostics fee, $100, and leave the vehicle with the dealership until they figure out the problem. They offer no rental car or courtesy vehicle while they have it either. Kind of a raw deal if you ask me. Any suggestions??

Old 02-05-2015, 09:58 AM

If this is an autobox, make sure your foot is COMPLETELY off the brake pedal when driving. A signal to the trans. micro. from the brake light switch can upset these autoboxes. Otherwise change the ATF fluid for the correct one only. If this doesn't work, claim your warranty. It could be anything from bad engine mountings to worn CV. joints etc. Mine judders sometimes slightly in reverse, but I've not bothered with it as I don't reverse much and it's slight anyhow.
Explanation:--
If the source of the judder IS the autobox, it'll be the big slipping wet-clutch around the torque converter. This is under micro. control to help improve fuel consumption, and to to keep the engine turning during fuel shut-off on slow-down, another fuel saver. There has to be the right additive in the ATF, a friction modifier. You can buy this friction modifier separately, it's under some name like "Dr. Tranny's instant shudder-fix", or something like.

Leedsman.