Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Slow to fill with fuel (petrol)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Default Slow to fill with fuel (petrol)

Hi. Grand Voyager 3.3 V6 Petrol (2003) slow to fill with fuel at gas station. Tried the fuel pump in all positions- still very slow to fill. Its just a hole to a tank. Thanks in advance.

Chan

Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 PM

All petrol stations, or just your local one? Reason I ask is that my local Tesco has one pump that is painfully slow, but the others are OK and when I go to Waitrose all is fine (at least, it is roughly the same speed to fill as my old Ford Focus)

Cheers

GL.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask, does the pump constantly fail over (click off while you are holding the lever) - if so, you may have a blockage in the tank pipe.

Cheers

GL.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Its just a hole to a tank.
Wrong........ Its actually a quite sophisticated system , That allows air to escape while i t is displaced by liquid. Dont think that way...It will limit your ability to logically resolve your issue..

If you POUR a Soda Bottle, The soda runs out smoothly, if you uncap it and flip it Vertically over the galss, you not only make a mess, but it takes forever to get the soda out of the bottle.

Same principle....If You put fuel in, you need to let the air out....

Now, There are Quite a few threads here on "SPLASHBACK" issues, Particularly the ASPEN /DURANGO...but the same Idea applies to them all......Your Vapor Vent is plugged up....That may be at the filler neck, or it May be the Check valve at the tank inlet...

Stay tuned, I will try to get the service bulletin Number, and either Post it, or you can Google it.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM

It happens on all petrol stations and yes pump constantly fail over.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:24 AM

So, I'm thinking definitely blockage in either the fuel pipe itself or in the vent pipe (the reason for having one of designed into the fuel filling system is admirably described by Djinn above).

Good luck.

Cheers

GL.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM

I am having trouble with very slow petrol fill also - this thread is all I could find in the search function. As I try to pump petrol in, if it is more than a dribble the pump cuts out and I have to re-squeeze the trigger. Took me over 5 minutes to pump in £30 worth of petrol - that's not a lot of fuel in the UK!!!! Click, squeeze, click, squeeze.

I know from the service manual that there is the main fill pipe and a smaller vent pipe that connects into the fill pipe - this is all behind the left rear wheel forward wheel arch liner. Suspect a kink or blockage in the vent line, which I think ties into the petrol vapour recovery system.

Has anyone actually had this problem and then positively fixed it?

Any tips appreciated, to speed up the diagnosis and repair.

Obviously not urgent, but it is a PITA and I think SWMBO will be a lot less tolerant than I about this quirk, should she ever get around to putting fuel into one of our cars. It seems that putting fuel in a car is a Blue job, not a Pink job. You'd think I'd get that by now.

Happy Motoring.

Munro
UK South Coast/New Forest
Jaguar XJR
Triumph Spitfire

Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM

Had the same problem with ours when we first got it, I overcome it by putting the nozzle in as usual (straight up and down) then turning it 90 degrees anti clockwise (or even a little bit more) and it stops the nozzle cutting out.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 AM

Hi All

I've had this problem with two Grand Voyagers and a Kia Sedona. the nozzle has to be put in almost upside down as far as it will go with the hose at the 10 o clock position. Worked on all three.

Regards John.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Default Me too, with solution

Reply as I solved this slow to fill problem on my car.
UK spec. 2005 3.3 Grand Voyager, bought used in 2017 with 140,000 miles on it, very slow to fill, all pumps clicked off when tried to speed up fill.
After experimenting with disconnection of the various vent pipes accessible under the car, without removing tank, I discovered that the most resistance to blowing through came from the charcoal canister. A new canister in UK was going to be at least £100. I removed and opened the canister, emptied out the activated charcoal and discovered the fabric filter behind the vent to atmosphere, my car doesn't have NVLD, was blocked. As vacuuming the filter in situ had little effect, I devised a way to push this filter out of the canister and replaced it with a double layer of a similar material used in our domestic vacuum cleaner. I rebuilt, resealed and reinstalled the canister. Filled fuel tank successfully at normal speed, but only once so far.

Chris

Quick Reply: Slow to fill with fuel (petrol)