Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Smoking Brakes 03 T&C 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Default Smoking Brakes 03 T&C 3.8

Have a customer who has been in twice with a condition that we have been unable to duplicate. It wouldn't bother me so much, other than I get that deja-vu feeling. Been there, done that about 4 years ago. Threw parts at a van over and over until I got the answer and then FINALLY solved the problem. Now I can't remember what the hell we did!

2003 Town and Country 3.8 - FWD - customer complaint - right front wheel getting extremely hot and smoking at times - brakes appear to bind up on that side when this happens.

Repairs performed - new calipers, pads, and rotors, brake fluid flush.

Inspection revealed no issues - calipers moving freely, hoses not kinked or binding up (I know some people accidentally twist these when putting caliper back on). All parts appear to be installed properly.

Multiple test drives by multiple techs turned up NOTHING out of the ordinary. Brakes never bound up, were never dragging, etc. Rotors are not heat-checked - NOTHING looks out of the ordinary.

Vehicle has 60k miles on it and I know this woman is not exaggerating or making any of this up. She is actually afraid to drive the vehicle.

As I said before, been there, done that. I just can't for the life of me remember what we did when presented with the same circumstances a few years back. I know it's gonna be a forehead slapping moment. Thanks in advance for any guidance/wisdom anybody can give me!

Mike

Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Had the same problem with my 93 caravan , I replaced the brake hose and it never repeated. Now I have an 03 t&c limited with the same problem .It's hard to diagnose because it happens randomly but if you stop and wait a little while everything is normal because the pressure in the line bleeds off.I have replaced the hose on the drivers side front ,next is the pass. side front. Don't be fooled by the outside of the hose ,they always look great ,no cuts,bulges or visible defects its all inside.Apparently the liner seperates and blocks off the hose preventing the fluid from returning to the master cylinder reservoir.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM

and make sure fluid not overfilled. Needs room to expand.. Just going by what some guy told me sometime that had a caliper that kept freezing up, turns out the fluid was overfilled, it would heat up and have no place to go.. Not sure how true that is, but seems like a possibility.

JK

Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MECHMIND
Had the same problem with my 93 caravan , I replaced the brake hose and it never repeated. Now I have an 03 t&c limited with the same problem .It's hard to diagnose because it happens randomly but if you stop and wait a little while everything is normal because the pressure in the line bleeds off.I have replaced the hose on the drivers side front ,next is the pass. side front. Don't be fooled by the outside of the hose ,they always look great ,no cuts,bulges or visible defects its all inside.Apparently the liner seperates and blocks off the hose preventing the fluid from returning to the master cylinder reservoir.
Ditto. When the liner separates it turns into a check valve stopping fluid flow and trapping pressure. The flap can come and go as it likes.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Mechmind & Raptor07 have got it in one. Had this problem with my mates Chrysler 180 many years ago. Front brake on solid. Released caliper bleed nipple and fluid shot out releasing brake. Hose had collapsed inside. Change both front hoses to be on the safe side.

Regards John.