Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Wheel Woe

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Unhappy Spare Wheel Woe

Hi All,

Well, this weekend's "project" to cure the broken reversing sensor went from bad to worse :-(

Started off by having two of the four sensors disintegrate in my hands while trying to re-seat them, so now I want to disconnect the whole array to stop it beeping constantly while reversing (whether I am close to something or not)... but....

I can't get the damn spare wheel off... :-(

Can somebody shed any light on this.... Ok I am a newbie but I didn't think it would be that bad. I crank the little nut in the floor 1/2 turn anti-clock as the manual says, but nothing happens underneath...should the wheel drop on some kind of spring mechanism? If I crank any further it makes a sort of ratchet sound, which can't be good.

Now I am worried in case I have a flat, then I am really stuffed

Any clues.....? Anyone.....?

Cheers

GL.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Turn it clockwise......it lowers on a cable....which will drop all the way down, and if you continue to turn in the same direction it will return upwards. The last guy to change a flat didnt read the manual and turned it the wrong way to come back up...

go full clockwise until it touches the ground, and keep going until it returns to "SEATED".....That will put it back to how it is supposed to work.

If not, the ratchet is broken, and will have to be replaced.....

Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Ah, thanks for that.... I was turning it anti-clock as that is what is shown in ther manual.

I will gop and try it clockwise right now and report back in a minute.....

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM

No dice, I am afraid. Turning it clockwise has the same effect. Interestingly, the spare looks brand new, so I am wondering if it ever worked.

Anyway, my next door neighbour (an ex-Chrysler mechanic) is going to look at it later in the week so I am hoping for a solution soon.

Cheers

GL.