Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums

Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/)
-   Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/)
-   -   Starting/Stalling Problems+some other (https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/chrysler-voyager-town-country-21/starting-stalling-problems-some-other-3020/)

paul.siwek 05-08-2007 03:33 PM

Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

Hi there, I'm new to this forums and a new second-hand Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE owner, I have dreamed of owning one of these baby's for years and years, now i have one, i'm thinking havei made the right choice ?

The problemsIhave hadthus far :

1: Stalled during braking (after a 100 miles or so)
2: Alarm/Imobilisorwould not dissengage(Alarm-Set Light would remain on after turning key twice, also backlight on tacho/gear on dash would not light up)
3: Started, then when changing to D, revs would drop down so low the car would Stall (this is now happening almost each time the car is started)
4: Also when the car is running, appears to be around 45-60, car would judderlike it was trying tochange gear.

One other point is that the Air filter wasreally bad, it had remnets of oild on it, I have now put a new one in and it has not stalled when braking so far, it's not a proper MoparFilter but its 100 times better than the one that was taken out, not sure that's relevent to the above problems but i just thought i would mention it.

IF anyone has had a similar problem and found out what caused it please can you help us ?

I'm no Mechanic, but is there such a thing as an idler? it seems to me that if there is an idler, it's setting is to low?

Any ideas on anyhing above would be helpfull.

CHRYSLER TECH 05-08-2007 09:07 PM

RE: Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

give me the last 8 of the vin I will look for tsb and PCM update if any. Clean the throtle body out that should take care of the stall issue. Take it off and clean the AIC plunger as well because that is what allows air to enter when at idle and comming to a stop. Check tranny fluid level when hot read teh dip stick and see if u need it in park or N

paul.siwek 05-09-2007 02:45 AM

The last 8 of my Vin are : WU512975

This might seem a stupid question, but i dont have any kind of workshop manual to help me locate the throttle body, anypointers or images to help locate it.

Also should the small hose connecting to the top of the head gasket have a hose clip on either end, it comes off very easily.

CHRYSLER TECH 05-09-2007 08:56 AM

the throtle body is the metal assembly located at the end of your air filter housing <far left side of the engein when looking at it stright on >that goes into the intake manafold <big black think on top that says 3.8>
Take off the big hose that goes into the intake there will be a connector for a sensor,3 10mm bolts 2 top 1 lower, 2 other connectors for other sensors one rubber hose on the lower end. Some connecotrs will have red locks so unlock them first b4 trying to take them off. OH BTW make sure u have throtle body clearner from a dealer or some place because onec u have the trhotle body off u cant go ne where.

Ok the tranny I see u have an inport not in the states. There is software update for a shudder for your van here is part of the tsb NO: 21-03-98.On NS/GS models: [ol][*]Reduces a shudder condition that may be experienced during a light to moderate throttle 1-2 upshift with -1 C (30 F) degree fluid temperature or higher. This condition can be experienced more frequently as the fluid becomes hotter.[*]Reduces a shudder condition that may be experienced during a 2-3 upshift just after a 3-2 or 4-2 kick-down.[*]I know in the ststes u can get software updates for free untill 80k but over seas i dont know and the only place u can get the software is from a dealer.[/ol]Now the Alarm if u get the dealer to flash your computer have them look at the alarm for an issue with the WCM Wireless Control Module.

paul.siwek 05-09-2007 05:33 PM

Ok we took off the throttle assembly and cleaned it out, and also cleaned the plunger, no problem there, so it was all put back in and went to start the "van" and it started but stalled straight away this time, This was tried several times, so i put slight pressure on the accelerator pedel, and held it so the engine would stay running, it did stay running but when letting go of the pedel it would stall again.

This time i held it on long enough to get the engine to normal operating temp, and slowly let go of the pedel, and it stayed running, one thing we did notice was the small hose leading from the top box of the air filter to the top of the camshaft was not plugged in, so plugged that in, not entirly sure if it was that causing the problem or not.

Anyhow,while it was running we also stuck a meter on the battery to check it was getting enough power to charge it, it was around the 14v mark so we would assume it was enough to charge the battery, normal battery voltage was 12.40v .

I am going to find about at my local dealer weather my mpv has had that software update or not. hopefully it has if issued in '98,

Any other thought on why it would not stay running after cleaning it ?

CHRYSLER TECH 05-10-2007 08:40 AM

the plunger that u had cleaned is not doings its job u can install a new one and then unplug your batt for 5 min or if u have a code reader erase any codes and data so that the computer is forced to learn the new adaptives on the AIC motor. The plunger is what controls the air when u are at idle its called an AIC.

paul.siwek 05-10-2007 09:18 AM

Ok thanks for that, i'm now trying to find out how much a AIC plunger will cost me, will it damage the car if i still use it ?

paul.siwek 05-10-2007 11:32 AM

Just called my Local Chrysler Dealership and they say they have never heard of a AIC Motor, strange, they have said i drive the car down to show them... maybe it's called somthing different in the UK?

CHRYSLER TECH 05-10-2007 02:34 PM

here is the part number 4861099AA AIS motor same thing

paul.siwek 05-10-2007 04:33 PM

Brilliant mate, thank for that !

I also found this article on the problem too...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idl...ms.html#toolow

paul.siwek 05-15-2007 04:31 AM

Ok, my dad is now on his way to the chrysler dealer to get a newAIS Motor, after having the take the dam car up there and show them what part it was, is there anything special which i need to know about fitting it, I remember you saying you have to unplug the battery for 10 mins, will i still be able to use the car and will my keys still be in sync with the ECU?

CHRYSLER TECH 05-15-2007 05:51 PM

no the keys will not need to be re programed unless u replace the WCM or ECU it self.

paul.siwek 05-16-2007 06:46 AM

Ok we changed the AIS Motor last night and it worked, i also took the car out last night for a blast and it was perfect, but, this morning on my way to work started the car as normal, and put it in D, Stall ..... tried again.... Stall and again Stall.... tried a 4th time and it was fine, I'm now at a loss... any further ideas..

Also I have now noticed that sometimes it wont engage the gear, But checking my Trans oil after changing the AIS motor, we noticed no marking on it...

So would that cause problems... should i drive it home after work in 3 so it doesnt need to change gear?

CHRYSLER TECH 05-16-2007 11:49 AM

my orginal post back on the 7h asked to check the tranny fluid level read the owners manual if there are no instructions on the dip stick for when to check the level. I would say check the level in nutural HOT check both sides of the dip stick for instructions

paul.siwek 05-16-2007 03:45 PM

Yeah on the dopstick it says to put it in park.. Am i right in assuming that if there is nothing showing up when the engine is hot then there is a problem? it wasnt until the engine started to cool down again that we started to get a reading on the cool marking on the dipstick.

Anyhow we are going to change the oil next weekend, and the engine oil also.

I just want a car that works.

paul.siwek 05-18-2007 04:43 AM

Ok this might be a stupid thing to ask ( i'm good at asking stupid questions)

Having changed my AIS motor, and still having the problem, the only thing i can think of that we did not do as you put in your first reply, i did not dissconect the battery, would this cause the ECU to think that the old motor was still plugged in? causing it to use the same perameteres to try and keep it going ?

The reason i say this is when i'm driving it, it's much better than it was.

CHRYSLER TECH 05-18-2007 12:05 PM

so the first issue with the stalling out is gone??? if yes then dont worry about it and drive for awhile and it will relearn on its own. With undoing the batt it will be forced to start over from factory defaults.
I would say with your tranny u have a leak some where it will be red in color. U can fill it up in park and dont over fill it though. Check it again once driven for awhile and see if u have aleak visable.

paul.siwek 05-18-2007 03:27 PM

Yes the orginal problem still remians, if my understanding is correct would the factory settings be better to start with ? I have not looked to see what position the plunger is actualy in, but yes the problem is there in that it starts and runs fine, then as soon as you put it in gear R or D it stalls.

I dont think the car has been servies in about 4 years, evidence of that was when we changed the air filter, and it was black with oil on it. so I can only assume nothing has been done with it since the last service I have been able to trace.

There is also some kind of oil leakage as on the last MOT an advisory notice was issued about heave oil leakage from the gearbox and engine, but when we first look at the engine we notice the front rocker cover was loose, at least 1 full turn on most of them, i have been unable to reasch the other one, also i can guess the sparky's have not been changed in 4 years either..

bascialy I cant afford to take it to my dealer, altho it maybe the better option for some of it, as they know what's what with them, or should do, but i would also like to learn how to do these things myself.

so would it be best to drain the engine oil, and the tranny fluid, and start over with clean fresh stuff, if so, is there anything i can flush throu it to clean the carbon and rubbish left in the engine...?

also any other tips on the stalling issue would be great,

CHRYSLER TECH 05-18-2007 08:04 PM

I think the stalling issue is the tranny then. Have u added fluid to see if it goes away? then u can look for a leak which there is based on what u said there is no fluid on the stick. U cant flush the tranny with out a machine to swap the fluid out. U can lift the car up take the tranny pan off then replace the filter and seal it back up with black RTV. Add fluid about 5 qts but if u are low u may need more.

paul.siwek 05-19-2007 08:20 AM

what is 5 qts ? not familiar with that measurment.

CHRYSLER TECH 05-19-2007 11:04 AM

just fill up the trany untill the dip stick shows full when the tranny is hot.

paul.siwek 05-19-2007 11:07 AM

Just out of intereste i have read alot about aft+3 and dexron, is it ok to use dexron ? as i'm been unable to get anything else?

paul.siwek 06-05-2007 06:20 PM

Sorry to bring back an old post here but i think it may be still related to it.

We changed the AIS Motor and all appeared fine once it had re-learnt the new motor it was fine, But after driving it around recently on afew longer than normal journeys, More to the point on the way home today it started stalling every time we braked at a roundabout or junction.

My other half mentioned something about my tranny fluid level, so after afew times of it stalling I decided to pull over and check it, ofcourse my wife was correct, the I had no red on the stick, apart from a small bit right at the bottom of the stick.

So i tried to get hold of any ATF fluid, and was even tempted to put dexron in there, lukily i could not find that, but i did manage to fine AFT+4, which is ofcourse synthetic, not mineral based as it should be, but as soon as i put that in, it was perfect !

On another issue with that I do have a tranny leak & a Engine leak, but because the car has not had a service in the last 4 years, there is oil stuck all over the bottom of the engine, which makes it very difficult to see were any leak is coming from.

What i would like to know, is there a way to fix a leak in the Tranny? i'm not made of money, and am happy to do anywork myself, but is this somthing i'm going to have to get the dealer to deal with? or can I re-seal it? if that's possible.

CHRYSLER TECH 06-05-2007 08:41 PM

take a few good detailed pictures and upload them on here and i will see what i can see and see what I think needs to be repaired as for as the leaks.

paul.siwek 06-06-2007 05:32 PM

Here are some images i took tonight of the underside of the engine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/590A5F8984B148DCB23CE18EAAA81E54.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/F07601A1D1984394A414CCC99EF82C65.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/21E7929E652141F7A73DB52A650B58B3.jpg[/IMG]

paul.siwek 06-06-2007 05:41 PM

Some more images.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/9B94357E783E459EAD7341744CDDD17B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/E5BC91017D2B49F19E88C5507F9147BF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/3EB92BE0E2404FFD87CE8D053C7CF459.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/EB7924DCCCCE4F98B2F5ED8470227201.jpg[/IMG]

paul.siwek 06-06-2007 05:44 PM

also this is abit worrying too !

[IMG]local://upfiles/3193/A115EB76B4214BF28F190FF5A652BACA.jpg[/IMG]

CHRYSLER TECH 06-06-2007 08:38 PM

alright u have valve cover,and oil pan gaskets leaking this is common for your year. The tranny from what I see is the side cover easy to fix take it off and USE RTV to seal it back up. Do a tranny service thats the tranny pan use rtv as well and replace the filter. The one thing i did not see was the tranny cooler lines thay are line u can see from up top 2 hoses going from the rad to teh tranny thay leak all the time as well. The last thing I know that leaks is the Sol pack which is the silver and black looking thing with a connector and a bolt going right through the middle. I some times see the CV axle seals leaking but not all the time.
OK recap tranny issue cooler line,tranny side cover,tranny pan all easy u can do. Second but not related is the oil pan and valve cover gaskets leaking. Thoes will take some work if u have never done them b4 remove intake and so on.

tbaxleyjr 06-06-2007 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: paul.siwek

what is 5 qts ? not familiar with that measurment.
A quart here in the U.S. is a little smaller than a liter (litre) (I think 1 qt = 0.93 litres)