Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Default Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

Hi there, I'm new to this forums and a new second-hand Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE owner, I have dreamed of owning one of these baby's for years and years, now i have one, i'm thinking havei made the right choice ?

The problemsIhave hadthus far :

1: Stalled during braking (after a 100 miles or so)
2: Alarm/Imobilisorwould not dissengage(Alarm-Set Light would remain on after turning key twice, also backlight on tacho/gear on dash would not light up)
3: Started, then when changing to D, revs would drop down so low the car would Stall (this is now happening almost each time the car is started)
4: Also when the car is running, appears to be around 45-60, car would judderlike it was trying tochange gear.

One other point is that the Air filter wasreally bad, it had remnets of oild on it, I have now put a new one in and it has not stalled when braking so far, it's not a proper MoparFilter but its 100 times better than the one that was taken out, not sure that's relevent to the above problems but i just thought i would mention it.

IF anyone has had a similar problem and found out what caused it please can you help us ?

I'm no Mechanic, but is there such a thing as an idler? it seems to me that if there is an idler, it's setting is to low?

Any ideas on anyhing above would be helpfull.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

give me the last 8 of the vin I will look for tsb and PCM update if any. Clean the throtle body out that should take care of the stall issue. Take it off and clean the AIC plunger as well because that is what allows air to enter when at idle and comming to a stop. Check tranny fluid level when hot read teh dip stick and see if u need it in park or N

Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 AM

The last 8 of my Vin are : WU512975

This might seem a stupid question, but i dont have any kind of workshop manual to help me locate the throttle body, anypointers or images to help locate it.

Also should the small hose connecting to the top of the head gasket have a hose clip on either end, it comes off very easily.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

the throtle body is the metal assembly located at the end of your air filter housing <far left side of the engein when looking at it stright on >that goes into the intake manafold <big black think on top that says 3.8>
Take off the big hose that goes into the intake there will be a connector for a sensor,3 10mm bolts 2 top 1 lower, 2 other connectors for other sensors one rubber hose on the lower end. Some connecotrs will have red locks so unlock them first b4 trying to take them off. OH BTW make sure u have throtle body clearner from a dealer or some place because onec u have the trhotle body off u cant go ne where.

Ok the tranny I see u have an inport not in the states. There is software update for a shudder for your van here is part of the tsb NO: 21-03-98.On NS/GS models: [ol][*]Reduces a shudder condition that may be experienced during a light to moderate throttle 1-2 upshift with -1 C (30 F) degree fluid temperature or higher. This condition can be experienced more frequently as the fluid becomes hotter.[*]Reduces a shudder condition that may be experienced during a 2-3 upshift just after a 3-2 or 4-2 kick-down.[*]I know in the ststes u can get software updates for free untill 80k but over seas i dont know and the only place u can get the software is from a dealer.[/ol]Now the Alarm if u get the dealer to flash your computer have them look at the alarm for an issue with the WCM Wireless Control Module.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Ok we took off the throttle assembly and cleaned it out, and also cleaned the plunger, no problem there, so it was all put back in and went to start the "van" and it started but stalled straight away this time, This was tried several times, so i put slight pressure on the accelerator pedel, and held it so the engine would stay running, it did stay running but when letting go of the pedel it would stall again.

This time i held it on long enough to get the engine to normal operating temp, and slowly let go of the pedel, and it stayed running, one thing we did notice was the small hose leading from the top box of the air filter to the top of the camshaft was not plugged in, so plugged that in, not entirly sure if it was that causing the problem or not.

Anyhow,while it was running we also stuck a meter on the battery to check it was getting enough power to charge it, it was around the 14v mark so we would assume it was enough to charge the battery, normal battery voltage was 12.40v .

I am going to find about at my local dealer weather my mpv has had that software update or not. hopefully it has if issued in '98,

Any other thought on why it would not stay running after cleaning it ?

Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

the plunger that u had cleaned is not doings its job u can install a new one and then unplug your batt for 5 min or if u have a code reader erase any codes and data so that the computer is forced to learn the new adaptives on the AIC motor. The plunger is what controls the air when u are at idle its called an AIC.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 AM

Ok thanks for that, i'm now trying to find out how much a AIC plunger will cost me, will it damage the car if i still use it ?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Just called my Local Chrysler Dealership and they say they have never heard of a AIC Motor, strange, they have said i drive the car down to show them... maybe it's called somthing different in the UK?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

here is the part number 4861099AA AIS motor same thing

Old 05-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Brilliant mate, thank for that !

I also found this article on the problem too...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idl...ms.html#toolow

Quick Reply: Starting/Stalling Problems+some other