Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T&C 2015, can I program/modify automatic headlights? (US sold, imported to Sweden)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 03:29 AM
Default T&C 2015, can I program/modify automatic headlights? (US sold, imported to Sweden)

In Sweden, we have a requirement to have either headlights or DRL lights on at all times, even daytime (well, that's what DRL is for, right?!). This is a 2015 Town & Country that was sold in the US (not sure what state) and later imported to Sweden.

In my van, the DRL works by powering the high beam bulbs with a low voltage so they only glow. This is probably not in accordance with Swedish/EU regulations, but that's not the issue, but here is where the problems start. Being a Chrysler T&C/Voyager, the headlights are a total disaster as always. They have been on all four of mine the past 20 years (-99, -03, -07 and the -15). What I did was I ordered some of the new LED "bulbs" with an extreme improvement in light output and put them in the high beams only. The high beam is now acceptable and almost as good as in my stock Volvo V70 -12. The downside is that the DRL, using those same LED bulbs, is now unacceptably strong.

The current behaviour:
Auto: When transmission is in park, no lights, all other (R, N, D): DRL when bright and headlights when dark (OK I guess). Auto high beam works.
Off: Just as Auto
Parking light: Just as Auto, but parking lights are also on (even without ignition on)
On: Headlights (and parking lights) on at all times, auto high beam off (as it should)

So, questions:
Is my van modified or do all US sold T&C work this way?
Do US sold vans have DRL (dimmed high beam) at all?
Can I program or otherwise adjust the DRL function? I would want the headlights to be used at all times, never DRL (in Auto setting of course).
How can I make the switch turn off all the lights in the off position? I guess this is the normal behaviour in a US sold van, right? If I ever want to go abroad, I may need to be able to turn the lights off.

What I want:
Auto - Headlights on at all times when driving (or ignition on basically).
Off - Well, all lights off, I guess
Park - Parking lights on even when ignition is off, nothing else.
On - Headlights on even when ignition is off. Could be the same as Auto though as long as auto high beam is off.

I suspect the importing dealer has done some modification to the car, but I have no idea if this is by programming, wiring or some extra electronics. It would be nice to know the default behaviour of the car (US original style).

I'm grateful for any input!

/Fredrik

Old 12-08-2022, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by VMdiesel
In Sweden, we have a requirement to have either headlights or DRL lights on at all times, even daytime (well, that's what DRL is for, right?!). This is a 2015 Town & Country that was sold in the US (not sure what state) and later imported to Sweden.

In my van, the DRL works by powering the high beam bulbs with a low voltage so they only glow. This is probably not in accordance with Swedish/EU regulations, but that's not the issue, but here is where the problems start. Being a Chrysler T&C/Voyager, the headlights are a total disaster as always. They have been on all four of mine the past 20 years (-99, -03, -07 and the -15). What I did was I ordered some of the new LED "bulbs" with an extreme improvement in light output and put them in the high beams only. The high beam is now acceptable and almost as good as in my stock Volvo V70 -12. The downside is that the DRL, using those same LED bulbs, is now unacceptably strong.

The current behaviour:
Auto: When transmission is in park, no lights, all other (R, N, D): DRL when bright and headlights when dark (OK I guess). Auto high beam works.
Off: Just as Auto
Parking light: Just as Auto, but parking lights are also on (even without ignition on)
On: Headlights (and parking lights) on at all times, auto high beam off (as it should)

So, questions:
Is my van modified or do all US sold T&C work this way?
Do US sold vans have DRL (dimmed high beam) at all?
Can I program or otherwise adjust the DRL function? I would want the headlights to be used at all times, never DRL (in Auto setting of course).
How can I make the switch turn off all the lights in the off position? I guess this is the normal behaviour in a US sold van, right? If I ever want to go abroad, I may need to be able to turn the lights off.

What I want:
Auto - Headlights on at all times when driving (or ignition on basically).
Off - Well, all lights off, I guess
Park - Parking lights on even when ignition is off, nothing else.
On - Headlights on even when ignition is off. Could be the same as Auto though as long as auto high beam is off.

I suspect the importing dealer has done some modification to the car, but I have no idea if this is by programming, wiring or some extra electronics. It would be nice to know the default behaviour of the car (US original style).

I'm grateful for any input!

/Fredrik
buy OBD scanner (i recommend vlinker MC+ for 55eur from aliexpress), install AlfaOBD app on your phone. then you can change configuration of you car. You can choose DRL options (fog lights, headlights or high beams as DRL's), you can read faults, delete them and so on. user friendly application.