Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

A/T fluid level check

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Default A/T fluid level check

Hello.
I recently got me a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD, and as the automatic trannys are known to fail(often due to lack of service I understand) I like to keep an eye on mine. So here comes some questions:

Should the engine be running when trans fluid level is checked?
How cold is "cold", and hot is "hot" on the dip stick?
Is it possible to flush the tranny relatively easy, or is it a job for a workshop, or is it something you shouldn't do at all?

Thanks/Jesper

Old 02-12-2011, 06:26 PM

The automatic transmission fitted to your 2.8 CRD has a very good reputation. It's been in production for many years and as such has no real weakness.

Having said that it's always a good idea to keep an eye on transmission fluid levels on any auto. Alot of the problems you read about on here relate to trans fluid needing replaced or incorrect fluid being used in the transmission.

Check the level the level when the engine/transmission is hot. Cycle the transmission from PRND and back to park, pausing at each gear. Then pull the dipstick out, wipe it and put it back in to get the level.

The Hot marks on the stick are for when the fluid is at full operation temp....about 80 Celcius. The cold marks are when the fluid is 20 celcius.

As for replacing the transmission fluid....well Chrysler say as long as you are not using the car for towing/taxi/commercial use the fluid is good for life. But you won't find many guys on here agreeing with that, me included.

I'd replace the fluid and filter avery 30000 miles or so. The materials are not expensive, but there is no drain plug on the tranny sump. You have drop the sump and pour the fliud out....better still pump it from the dipstick hole before taking the sump off.

Unfortunately, its hard to replace more that about half the fluid at once as the torque converter traps alot of fluid.

Lastly and most importantly, Only ever put ATF4 transmission fluid in the tranny (no flushing products). You can get it from a Chrysler dealer.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 AM

Thank you! I'll check level when trans is hot then. But should the engine still be running at the moment of level check? I've done it both engine on and off and the level on the stick differs. Witch is right?

Thanks/Jesper

Old 02-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Its checked with engine running at tickover.
Regards John.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Yes.....with the engine running.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Ok, thanks. In that case the level might be a bit low I think. But this time of year I belive the outside temperature(-15 Celsius) where I live(Sweden) makes it difficult to reach the right "hot" temp. The first check I did, I just started it from cold and let it idle for 2 minutes or so. I then went through PRND and back to P, and when I checked, with engine still running, the level barely reached the end of the dipstick. I then took a 30 minute drive(read: easy cruise on snowy, slippery roads) and checked again. this time the level was between the dots for "cold" on the dipstick. But then again, the fluid was nothing like hot to my fingers, more like a bit warm, compared to the outside temp.

I Think I make another check when the weather conditions are better.

At least I now know that I'm doing the check the right way, as the owners manual were a bit confusing on that point in the Swedish translation.

Many thanks/Jesper

Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM

Oh! one more question.

Is the oil cooler for the trans built together with the engine radiator, and suppose to heat up the fluid as the engine temp goes up? If so it's a bit strange that the temp on the transmission fluid wasn't higher than it were..

Thanks/Jesper

Old 02-14-2011, 01:02 PM

The transmission oil cooler is located next to the radiator, but it is cooled by air. Transmisson fluld is sent to the cooler when it gets to 82 C.

But if the air temp is very cold where you live, then it's possible that the transmission fluid will not get up to temp unless you are towing. There is significant cooling of the fluid through the trans sump, especially below -10 C.

I've atttached a chart from the Chrysler technical manual showing transmission fluid temp and dipstick level. As you can see the level may be correct if your fluid is not getting up to temperature.

Attached Thumbnails A/T fluid level check-trans-temp-chart.jpg  

Last edited by booke23; 02-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 PM

Thanks booke23 for all the useful info. I think, based on your info, that the level is fine. I will check again when the wheater gets warmer.

Thanks/Jesper

Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the post booke23, that chart has demystified checking the tranny oil level.

Quick Reply: A/T fluid level check