Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Torque Specs for Town and Country (99 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:13 AM
Default Torque Specs for Town and Country (99 model)

Recently I replaced the struts and the links from struts to stabilizer bars on my 99 town and country van. I need the torque values for the two large nuts on the splined bolts that are horizonal and fasten the bottom of the strut to the steering knuckle, the nuts that fasten the links from the strut to the stabilizer bar, and the three nuts that attach the top of the strut's bearing plate under the hood to the strut tower. Consulting my Chilton's manual #20302, it gives the torque for the two large splined bolt's nuts as, "65 ft.lbs. plus an additional 1/4 turn." It further says to attach the sway bar links with torque of 65 ft.lbs. The nuts attaching the three studs in the strut tower are listed as 21 ft lbs.
My question is this:the two large splined bolts that attach the strut to the steering knuckle are 65 ft.lbs. plus 1/4 turn where the torque listed for the nuts attaching the stabilizer link is 65 ft.lbs. The two large bolts are significantly larger in diameter than the studs on the stabilizer link. I don't know how much additional torque is added to the nuts on the large bolts by the quarter turn, but it seemed to me that the listing for the links might be in error. Searching the internet on other sites I found one that listed the link torque at 43 ft.lbs. Can anyone please set me straight on the correct values. Especially since after having it aligned I hear a snapping or popping noise coming from the front end which I didn't hear driving about ten mile to the alignment shop. I assume that I have left something loose or the alignment shop did. When I finished the job I installed new brake pads prior to taking to the alignment shop. During the ten miles or so I drove it prior to taking to alignment shop it wasn't making any noise. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd appreciate it too.