Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

tps voltage

Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Default tps voltage

im new to this forum but not new to mopars . im working on a 03 t/c with a 3.3 when i bought this van it had 7 codes now im down to1 . alot of its problems were a melted injector harness and it had never had a tune up it has 145.000 miles on it . one of the original codes was the tps high input 0123 ibeleive was the code what should the voltage be to the sensor im getting 4.2 to 2.7. when hooked to my scananner and pushing on the acc pedal it was showing 85.6 to 90.5 i this is the new sensor i just put on any help would be appreciated thanks ronny

Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM

Toss the scanner for a moment......

A multimeter , with fresh batteries....the supply voltage to TPS should be 5 volts, give or take10%.

Ground to the sensor should have less than 5 ohms resistance to (-) battery. and sensor signal less than 5 ohms to pcm.

123 indicates open TPS, which can be caused by either, or all of the wiring descriptions I just gave you.....If everything checks out...replace PCM

Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM

i tried to use it with a new multimeter i just bought go figure it didnt work then i forgot about my power probe so thats what i used . the battery had 12.3 volts i checked with just the key on when i touched it it would show 4.2 then right down to 2.7 was this the right way to check thanks.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM

ok...Is this with the sensor UNPLUGGED????

Also look at Cam Sensor, crank sensor and coolant sensor connectors,

With TPS unplugged and 5vref being probed, one at a time, unplug each of the other three. the one that returns the voltage to 4.5-5.0 at tps ids the defective one...

If you still dont see "Reasonably" 5 v...(Anywhere from 4 to 5 would be in the ballpark), you will have to isolate the 5vref circuit from the "Engine side"..and test directly at PCM..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Oops...sorry, add MAP to that list as well.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM

yes i did with the sensor unplugged ill try it that way tommorow . ran around allday then it rained this afternoon .have you seen any other problems with the harness on the front of the eng . like i found the inj harness melted at the back of the head.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM

have you seen any other problems with the harness on the front of the eng . like i found the inj harness melted at the back of the head.
All the time....

Which is exactly the point behind what I told you to do......all of those components share the 5 Vref circuit....The wiring or the sensor itself can short out, and pull the reference voltage down on All of them simultaneously.......

I try to hold off as long as I can, Simply because it is so invasive, but the tell-All scenario, would be to Cut the reference wire at PCM, and test to see if 5v is actually available from PCM.... After that is verified, the wire is repaired,(Splice Solder and heat shrink) and tucked back in the harness,
But for now, Stick with isolating them one at a time...I have access to wiring diagrams at a snap of my fingers, You, on the other hand, usually will not.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 PM

i will check tommmorow it dosent bother me to cut and splice wires at all . i have worked on garbage trucks for 20 years and they have more electronics on them than cars do. and most of their harnesses are 20 to 30 foot long.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM

went at it today all checked between 4.5 and 5 colts so i inslled a new tps and code disaperred but had a p0508 iac valve. checked wiring and plug was ok checked code was gone but showed a p1193 i took wiring harness apart and checked found no problem with it . cleared code put back together put it back together and no codes warmed the motor drove it shook harness and plugs noproblems .thanks for the help tonic now i have a better understanding of it .

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM

IAC huh...

I distinctly remember this one from back in the day.....Look at the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold.....Is the harness pulled back away from the tube???? It should be....

"DRESS" any portion of the harness that got Cinged, and try again.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tps voltage