Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Transaxle probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Default Transaxle probs

Hi.
hoping that I can get some technical advice.

I am located in the UK but have a 1997 grand voyager 3.3 v6. Got in the car last week and the gears in the tranny started playing up. First gear no probs, second gear no probs, now as soon as the vehicle tried to change into 3rg gear it would slip, the revs would raise and drop into second and stay there (Limp mode). Turn off engine restart and the same thing would happen. During the transition between second and third gear there would also be a screech, like the bands are slipping. I have plugged on my OBDII reader and this is the code

P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

There is no freeze frame data saved and when I reset the computer the same error code pops back up without moving the vehicle.
So Far I have done the following.

[ul][*]Dropped sump[*]Cleaned filter[*]Renewed oil[*]Changed input sensor[*]Changed output sensor[*]Changed shift solenoid[/ul]

The vehicle has done about 110k miles.
So based on the info above can anyone help me out as to the next stage?, I know that on some other uk vehicles they have a specific "Trans computer" that could be the root cause of such a problem. Could this be the case with the voyager?,Could this be related to some other kind of electrical fault in the car?.IS there any other trans sensors on this vehicle that could throw this error if faulty?.One other thing I forgot to mention was that the car had been sitting idle for about 2 months before this happened with no signs of trouble before.
Where about is the TCM located? and where is the valve body in the transaxle located?
What would be the best OBDII software to use to interrogate the TCM?, or would it be a dealer specific unit to read and reset the TCM
If anyone could help out with some voyager specific experience I would be very grateful.
Thanks
James