Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission trouble, wont start saysd its in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Default transmission trouble, wont start saysd its in reverse

hey all , we have a automatic voyager but it has just caused us a bit of worry..it is in park but shows its in reverse and it wont start , has anybody else had same problem or does anyone know what would cause this without me taking it to a garage and getting ripped off , thx in advance stu

Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 AM

And moving the handle into D/3/N doesn't change the automatic transmission indicator on the dashboard?

I would start by disconnecting the battery (-) and wait two minutes. Did that help? I hope it did, otherwise the shift indicator on the automatic transmission might have to be replaced – which might require a learn cycle for the Power Train Module but I'm not sure (please check with your local car dealer/repair shop).

Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM

thx for replying. the lever will move through the gears ok , but when it gets to displaying "N" or "P" they will not light up it. i have spent the last couple of days tryin to search if any1 else has had same prob and closest i got is to thinking it may be the neutral safety switch, but im not sure wether this switch is under the steerin colum or at the side of the trannie, i have been through every page of the repair manual aswell and it has nothing on neutral switches being replaced , if anyone could shed some light on where the switch could be or even an exact diagram or picture id be very grateful ..thx in advance stu

edit oh yeh sorry , i did disconnect battery , still nothing , also i cant seem to get the diagnostic codes to come up ..the one i have been trying is reset and trip depressed with ign off , then turn to on position with both buttons depressed still, then release
and turning the key from off, on , off , on etc

Last edited by stu75stu; 07-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 AM

did u ever get this fixed cause mine is doing the same thing

Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Default Park not displaying

Hi my 2005 crd XS got the same problem. When in Park the reverse indicator is showing, and N is not displaying either. It confuses the electric doors, because the will not open when the car is not in park.
I took it to Chrysler in Southend on Sea; they flushed the gearbox and are still the same.
Then they recommends to replace the Range sensor in the gearbox, I done that swell and didn’t make any difference at all, SO DONT DO THAT, it is a big job.
I am out of ideas now, Can any body help?

Old 08-14-2022, 01:23 AM
Default 05 cr tc *SAME ISSUE... ***FIXED!!***

It has to do with the trans wiring harness. Mine melted 1x, 2nd was mice chewed. But there notorious for fraying and shorting out. Aswell as tran ground cable could cause it (becomes unseated) ... I did the tcm replacement did nothing!
** starts as Intermittent issue then all the time..
** only quick way around it is (atleast mine) when van sat for hours it would let me start in am... BUT CANT SHUT OFF VEHICLE after started if you'll need it for the day.. (and I mean atleast 6hrs of vehicle sitting!)
**hope this helps🤞