Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trany questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Default trany questions

Hello,
I have own my 2000 t&c 3.8 with air for few years now. Trany area around the solenoid is seems too be the one place it's leaking. My trany lines are there also.
is that solenoid known too leak, lines I have too replace but I wonder on the sol. is there just a kit for them or drop 150 for a new on ?? Van does have 17000,oo on it.
I am going too do a dye test, just looking for some imput please.
DW

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Hello,
I have own my 2000 t&c 3.8 with air for few years now. I didn't know you could get a T&C without air? I'm pretty sure they all have air, but I don't understand how air has anything to do with the trans problem? Trany area around the solenoid is seems too be the one place it's leaking. My trany lines are there also.
is that solenoid known too leak, lines I have too replace but I wonder on the sol. is there just a kit for them or drop 150 for a new on ?? It is VERY common for the cooler hoses to leak. Usually you can just tighten the clamps. Feel the hoses if they are hard and brittle then replace. Start with the hoses first, then clean the area... Carb or Brake cleaner works well. drive the vehicle a while and see if the leak returns. If not your done, if so, then you can replace the solenoid gasket. I have yet to encounter a solenoid pack actually leaking and only a few cases of the solenoid gaskets leaking, and I service/rebuild over 100 of these transmissions per year. Van does have 17000,oo on it.
I am going too do a dye test, just looking for some imput please.
DW Don't bother with a trace dye until you first work with the hoses. A trace dye and UV light is a great idea for finding difficult leaks but in this case, probably isn't warranted

Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM

great, that helps. Will update this weekend.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 PM

I changed both upper and lower tranny lines, tighten both fittings at the rad. little leak.
also replaced the trans cooler line too the rad.
What Im seeing know is that solenoid box leaking. Has them star screws holding the plates together, can see fluid seeping out. Looks like that will have too be replaced next.
So ya they do leak.
DW

Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM

problem solving is a series of rational and pragmatic logical proceedures. A true profession starts with the easiest and cheapest possible causes then work thru until the situation is solved. So you found that the cheapest/easiest cause is corrected, so now you need to fix the next part of the problem Those screws are called Torx screws and they require a T-25... but I don't think it something you should take apart as there are several very small parts that will fall out. In all my years of working on these transmissions, i have never yet seen a solenoid pack leak. doesn't mean it can never happen, just that I've personally never encountered that problem. So, get yourself another pack and gasket for the solenoid to case and install. the 3 bolts are torqued to 105 inlbs. takes less than 20 min to change

Old 01-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

I see the sol packs leak quite often and also around the inspection cover which reads on the front DO NOT REMOVE CALIBRATION WILL BE LOST.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Ok so, install a new gasket ? do they sell just the gasket for the sol. ?
But don't remove, cause it won't shift correct.
Need the help but, what too do ?
I think at this point it's the main gasket, but hell its hard too pin point.
if I replace the complete sol. won't it read the new one and adjust so to speak ?
Thanks DW

Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Ok so, install a new gasket ? sure. do they sell just the gasket for the sol. ? 'they' sure do
But don't remove, cause it won't shift correct.
Need the help but, what too do ? depends if you know what you are doing. maybe this would be best to a professional or just buy a brand new solenoid pack and change it
I think at this point it's the main gasket, but hell its hard too pin point. didn't WE already cover how to pinpoint a leak??? you already answered your own question in your first post
if I replace the complete sol. won't it read the new one and adjust so to speak ? totally a myth. the transmission will constantly adapt itself. if you have a cheap snapon mt2500 scanner this can do what is known as quick learn. i rebuild a lot of these transmissions and only some times do I ever do a quick learn. by the time I come back from a road test, it's already learned.
Thanks DW

I see the sol packs leak quite often and also around the inspection cover which reads on the front DO NOT REMOVE CALIBRATION WILL BE LOST. I've completely rebuilt over 1000 of these transmissions and can't remember the last time I had one with a leaky solenoid pack. As for the 'warning' I tear the solenoid packs apart, clean and inspect all the parts and re assemble. they work fine. There's even rebuild kits for the packs.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Never tore apart a sol. not afraid too try. Not sure who carrys a kit in my area. Will have too see monday. Any help on who stocks the kit, car quest ? napa ? etc.
Thanks much

Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 PM

Have it out and apart, not much too it. Just need a kit now.

Quick Reply: trany questions