Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true Chrysler cars do not have MAF sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Default Is it true Chrysler cars do not have MAF sensors

Or its a typical case of dont believe everything you read on the web. This guy claims Chrysler have never made a car with a MAF yet a quick ebay search brings back MAFs for the GV

Is this why Chrysler doesn't use MAF sensors?

It might also be the reason why Chrysler has never designed an engine with a MAF sensor

Old 03-30-2016, 01:39 PM

The petrol engines have MAP sensors...
Had to do a retake on this as its only the MAP that comes up on my 2004 parts cat.
Diesels have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) just inboard of the air filter of course. Then there's the Map (Mass Air Pressure or boost pressure), right on top of the engine that incorporates a temperature sensor (normally just called Temp sensor for some reason).
Petrol engines must have a MAF to gauge the air entering but not fully into them. They show to have a MAP sensor but their naturally aspired and in vacuum/suction.

Last edited by goggs; 03-30-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: pressurising the brain.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:35 AM

No the systems employed on most Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge gasoline vehicles do not use a Mas Air Flow sensor, but reply upon A Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor although you will often find people calling it a MAF sensor!

Basically the computer takes Manifold Absolute Pressure (vacuum) readings and uses them to determine Mass Air Flow. It then selects the most appropriate predetermined digital map. It also takes into account other imputes such as throttle position etc. However, this type of system is becoming more and more popular by manufactures because its cheaper and inherently more reliable than Mass Air Flow.

The down side is that it can only operate within its predetermined parameters therefore adding items such as cold air intakes, ram air etc, can have little to no affect.

And yes I found that out the hard way. Over the past year I've been working on a ram Air system for my van (3.3 V6 GV) and couldn't at first work out why it was leaning out on WOT at above 4500 RPM and thus reducing not increasing power, well now I know. It requires a map update and a whole host of tomfoolery that I'm really not about to get into! LOL!.

Last edited by Vonhofinvule; 03-31-2016 at 11:38 AM.