Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Pipe Blown

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Default Turbo Pipe Blown

Just when I need my Voyager the most, the exhaust blew this morning but the noise didn't appear to be coming from underneath the car. So I took it round to my local garage who said the pipe linking the turbo to the exhaust had rusted through. I think I have found a new pipe on ebay for a reasonable price but I'm not sure if this is the correct one. Can any of the guru's identify this part and confirm if it's the correct one for my 2007 2.8?
NEW GENUINE CHRYSLER VOYAGER & GRAND 01-07 2.5 DIESEL TURBO PIPE 05093023AA | eBay

Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM

Your looking at not the exhaust but the boost pipe coming away from the turbo to the intercooler via hoses then via hoses onto the inlet manifold. First pipe off your exhaust manifold is probably a flexy metal joint going onto the Catalytic converter. 2.5crd uses this same pipe 05093023AA. Not sure if this flexy can be changed on its own.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:08 PM

Here's pics from the 2004 parts manual for 2.5crd. But yours should be much the same. See your pipe coming off turbo boost side. If its not the actual manifold try secondhand cat and exhaust.
No 1 is the turbo diesel. Other is petrol.

Attached Thumbnails Turbo Pipe Blown-chrysler-voyager-exhaust-1.jpg   Turbo Pipe Blown-chrysler-voyager-exhaust-2.png  

Last edited by goggs; 10-27-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:28 AM

Thanks Goggsy. I now think the pipe I've seen on eBay is an intercooler pipe, not the turbo to exhaust pipe. So I'm going round to my local garage today to ask if they'll book the car in for one day next week, remove the faulty pipe and let me have it so I can do some comparisons. I'd do it myself but I can't even see the turbo from above so I think the car needs to be up on a ramp.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 PM

Get some car ramps, lump of carpet or board and slid underneath. But saying that the area around where you want to see is kinda busy...

Old 10-28-2016, 01:37 PM

It's booked in for Monday morning. They'll remove the offending bit and let me have it while I source a replacement. A few years ago I wouldn't have hesitated in getting underneath myself but I retired over 4 years ago so not as flexible as I once was plus I'm moving my daughter to her new house over this weekend and renovating my son's house, in my spare time.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 AM

Now thats amazing front pipe with flexy and cat for under £100 smackers for your car. Northampton company on Fleebay. Can't be real surely but they have loads adds on Fleebay.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:32 AM

So this is the faulty pipe from my car. Apparently it's a EGR valve pipe and is only fitted to the 2.8 that has the EGR valve at the front of the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Turbo Pipe Blown-dsc01215-r.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 03:42 PM

Your EGR must be working overtime Alan just hope it doesn't happen again soon. Would be inclined to blank it off just in case, like I'm needing to do to mine. Must surely be a reason for that.
On doing a little investigation the ideal, well some found engine runs better, is to remove the pipe completely and blank off the connecting EGR and inlet manifold end.
Of course blanking off EGR has improved peoples cars on here.
Then there's the MOT, blanking off isn't noticed during test, but removing a piece of engine emission equipment could fail the car.

Last edited by goggs; 11-01-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Adding vegetables.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:17 PM

The EURO-law was never ratified by the UK. Testers [and jobsworths] will lecture but there is no check requirement whatsoever. If you declared or they noticed [squeezed out sealant] an insert then they might ask - just deny - no law.

Opinion

Make sure you get a slotted one only 1 bolt to remove, I've never used a sealant on any plate, UK MOT test measures soot content - blank = no soot, more engine @ low revs for the RPM, worried about an engine light drill a 10mm hole in the plate = fools ECU, manufacturers are required to fit them UK testers are not required to test them. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Turbo Pipe Blown