Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

UK - 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD - limited Edn

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
I'll give it a go next time .. .. hope there isn't one .. .. but evidence from this forum [ and your good self ] says there will be one [ BCM EEprom fart ] without a 'stealer' software update.
Its quite likely.

It's happened to me about 10 times in 2 years, and although it is random alot of the time, about half of the instances have been caused by me accidently pressing multiple buttons on the keyfob. ie when the keys are in my back pocket and I bend over thus pressing all buttons at once! Pressing one button numerous times can cause this fault too, although not all the time!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by booke23
Its quite likely.

It's happened to me about 10 times in 2 years, and although it is random a lot of the time, about half of the instances have been caused by me accidental pressing multiple buttons on the keyfob. ie when the keys are in my back pocket and I bend over thus pressing all buttons at once! Pressing one button numerous times can cause this fault too, although not all the time!
Ta M8, now that I'm aware of it I'll be careful what I do with the soddin' buttons, I'm amazed its hasn't happened to me before, and still don't really know how I goosed it this time, but now that I do know forewarned is forearmed.

I've got access to a 3 grand snap~on with the 11.4 software on it, he'll lend me it for as long as I want it. I'm sure it will install the BCM-EEPROM update that will resolve the problem. Of course that's the easy bit. The hard bit is getting the tiny bit of code from the main 'stealer'

Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 AM

Just to add my experiences here. This is exactly the same for me.
UK KC54 plate, 2.8CRD.

It seems to do this problem randomly, but I've found the less I do, the less likely it is to fail! For example, if I have the auto-lock over 20MPH enabled, it happens frequently. If I use the internal door lock/unlock switch on the driver side, it happens almost immediately afterwards.

I do the same trick with the IOD fuse, give that 5 minutes, connect back up and its happy again.

I'd be really curious if anyone has done an update and found it does fix this problem, as I'll then have to trudge along to the dealership and see how much they'd charge
(Biggest problem for me is the local official dealership to Stockton, UK, don't bother replying to emails or even sometimes phone calls, which is a pain!)

Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Just to add my experiences here. This is exactly the same for me.
UK KC54 plate, 2.8CRD.

It seems to do this problem randomly, but I've found the less I do, the less likely it is to fail! For example, if I have the auto-lock over 20MPH enabled, it happens frequently. If I use the internal door lock/unlock switch on the driver side, it happens almost immediately afterwards.

I do the same trick with the IOD fuse, give that 5 minutes, connect back up and its happy again.

I'd be really curious if anyone has done an update and found it does fix this problem, as I'll then have to trudge along to the dealership and see how much they'd charge
(Biggest problem for me is the local official dealership to Stockton, UK, don't bother replying to emails or even sometimes phone calls, which is a pain!)
Couple of points :

Interesting comment about the "internal door lock/unlock switch" I used that that very night it went wrong whilst parked outside North Tees !

I've a M8 who is a Mobile DVT and may have an acquaintance or friend of a friend at that establishment who may be able to help with coding .. .. its worth an ask, no promises, but I will ask.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM

if u pull the iod fuse leave it out for a good minute,put it back in,dont press fob buttons,put key in ignition turn it 2 clicks once indicators flash twice,use fob to lock and open.

if i pull the iod my locking works for months on end,if i do it disconnecting battery,im doing that at least once a week.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM

another thing i have noticed with my 54 plate 2.8,it runs alot better and i get really good mpg with top engine cover off,if i put the cover back on now and then it has twitchy idle and bad mpg.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 AM

Ah some interesting points. I defo have problems if I 'play' with the locks, rather than just use the keyfob to open and close the locks.

I also use the IOD, but have found that can be just as problematic/random to the longevity of the fix.

QinteQ: Do please keep me informed, via PM if you prefer as I'm always pleased to hear somebody local with the same car and if you get anywhere with that.

pestilance: On the bad MPG and top cover issue (really needs a different thread for this), but that sounds like a temperature issue to me, possibly a ventilation problem.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Ah some interesting points. I defo have problems if I 'play' with the locks, rather than just use the keyfob to open and close the locks.

QinteQ: Do please keep me informed, via PM if you prefer as I'm always pleased to hear somebody local with the same car and if you get anywhere with that.
Will do my friend, I've only very recently come to this forum and have had unselfish and willing help given to me by others. I'll certainly 'give back' if I can.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Just to keep this alive, I thought I'd give it a go speaking to the dealership in Teesside, as I need to get my thermostat replaced (separate thread), so also thought I'd enquire about the firmware BCM and any updates, here's the reply I got, which makes me start to think differently about the fault once again.

Regarding your other enquiry about the central locking I have checked to see if there are any open recalls/service measures available for your vehicle to which there are none.
There maybe software updates available for the affected control units on your vehicle, however without the vehicle being present for our technicians to check I cannot comment at present as to whether this is the case or not.

I feel the central locking issue you have warrants diagnosis and we can offer our initial diagnosis for up to an hour @ £90.00 Inc vat (this is at the reduced rate for diagnosis)
So although they obviously don't know if my car needs a software update applying, they are happy to play around for an hour and charge me (I'd assume the software update would be an additional fee on top of this £90)

BUT, I've been driving it the past week, and rather nerdily noting down when the fault occurs and I have to pull the IOD, and found a much more plausible pattern now.
It's always when its been raining/wet roads!
Which takes me back onto the poor contact/bad earth, moisture in the system causing it, so I'm going to investigate more along these lines again.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM

Just to keep this alive, I thought I'd give it a go speaking to the dealership in Teesside, as I need to get my thermostat replaced (separate thread), so also thought I'd enquire about the firmware BCM and any updates, here's the reply I got, which makes me start to think differently about the fault once again.

So although they obviously don't know if my car needs a software update applying, they are happy to play around for an hour and charge me (I'd assume the software update would be an additional fee on top of this £90)

BUT, I've been driving it the past week, and rather nerdily noting down when the fault occurs and I have to pull the IOD, and found a much more plausible pattern now.
It's always when its been raining/wet roads!
Which takes me back onto the poor contact/bad earth, moisture in the system causing it, so I'm going to investigate more along these lines again.
Thanks for the update AndyB, my 'failure to sync' as you know happened twice in quick succession, but has not happened since and seems unrelated to earth bonding / resistance or wet water

On the main dealer thing, that's about what I'd expect, they just want your dosh. No dealer would know what version EEprom update you had in the first place and £90 to look then a further £90 to flash a newer revision is somewhere I wouldn't go without a cast iron guarantee and full warranty extension on the flash itself.

In my other thread about batteries, I'm getting less than 2.2 per cell so I'm all outa patience trying to make a bigger [physical size] battery fit under the bonnet so I'm just going to get the biggest Bosch Silver that will fit from Halfords tomorrow and sod the price.

If I hear 'owt' I'll let you know M8 !

Quick Reply: UK - 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD - limited Edn